In response to David Alexandre’s letter “‘Freshman Perspective’ columnist is out of touch,” (Nov. 8) I must disagree. I feel that he entirely missed the point of all of Hinson Neville’s columns, which is clearly to give an account of how things appear your first semester on campus.

Alexandre continuously states that if Neville did the “research” the opinions and ideas expressed in his articles would be more sound and accurate; however, researching the opinion misses the chance for the column to be an insight into what is seen and perceived during a first-year student’s transition to Carolina. Almost anyone who is new to the college experience will undoubtedly form judgements about groups, which after time will be corrected.

The truth is, during your first semester, it does look like Greek students are paying for their friends, people form opinions about us southerners from our slow southern drawl and tea drinking habits, and the idea of a military police force marching down Franklin, not to mention the giant bus, to clear the street after Halloween (no matter how necessary it is) does seem a little over the top.

Alexandre should think back to his freshman year and think about some of the incorrect perceptions he made that have been corrected through time and experience here at UNC, and realize that the column offers exactly what is promised, a small glimpse at life through the eyes of a first-year college student.

Adrian McLaurin
Senior
Classics