While Mr. Wooten deserves credit for promoting a general understanding of HIV and AIDS, his editorial neglects to highlight some key details concerning HIV testing that everyone in “at-risk” populations should be aware of. First, most are unaware that a majority of HIV tests detect antibodies against the virus — not the virus itself.

These antibodies may not appear in infected individuals until long after exposure. Most people develop antibodies that are detectable by conventional testing between one and three months after infection, but a small percentage will not test positive until up to six months after infection.

In practical terms, this means that it is possible for a carrier of HIV to test negative for several months before he or she has developed antibodies. All “rapid” HIV tests carry this caveat, as they only test for HIV antibodies.

Fortunately, all blood samples tested by the N.C. Department of Health and Human Services also look for proteins associated with the HIV virus itself — lowering the window period for detection to an average of nine to 11 days after infection.

RNA tests can be ordered from most doctor’s offices for an additional fee, but all UNC students can be tested for both HIV antibodies and RNA for free by scheduling an appointment with Counseling and Wellness Services.

Knowing your status means getting tested AND knowing how to interpret your test. Making this information available to “at-risk” populations is vital to lowering rates of HIV infection through regular testing and preventative care.

Adam David Gracz
Graduate Student
Cell and Molecular Physiology