Resilient MSU defense challenges Tar Heels

Earning chance after chance, the North Carolina men’s soccer team constantly fired at Michigan State’s goal in the third round of the NCAA Tournament on Sunday.

But the Spartans’ defense put all but one of the Tar Heels’ 31 shots to rest in their Fetzer Field stronghold, which was held at a 1-1 tie until penalty kicks advanced UNC to the NCAA quarterfinals, 5-4.

Anchored by defender Kevin Cope, Michigan State’s defensive wall didn’t just limit North Carolina’s attempts at goal — it also set up an offense that nearly earned its 11th shutout of the season.

A clutch shot by Enzo Martinez with nine seconds remaining in regulation and a shootout save by keeper Scott Goodwin kept UNC alive in the last-second win, but the Spartans’ defense kept MSU among the best competitors the Tar Heels have faced this season.

“They made it really, really difficult for us,” UNC coach Elmar Bolowich said. “(MSU had a) very tight defense, and I thought their goalkeeper in the regulation and the overtime did an outstanding job.”

UNC began the game dominating possession, but the Spartans seemed to be in the right place at all the right times. MSU spent the first half blocking numerous looks at goal and swiftly sending the ball back to its front line for looks of its own.

UNC’s offense then responded to a scoreless first half by sending a flurry of shots at Michigan State’s defenders. The Tar Heels nearly doubled their average of 16.76 shots per game in attempts to secure a tie.

But once again Michigan State’s defense was there to make plays. This time, a strong clear in the 65th minute directly set up the Spartans’ counterattack. Cyrus Saydee’s give-and-go goal for a 1-0 lead was supported by a defensive shutdown of UNC’s numerous attempts at goal for nearly the entire remainder of regulation.

“They had a diehard attitude, they were resilient,” UNC defender Jalil Anibaba said. “They just didn’t give up. There were plenty of plays where we got in behind one or two of their defenders and then the last guy would come out of nowhere … They were very tough to breakdown.”

Benefiting from the strength of a nine-save performance by goalie Avery Steinlage, the Spartans nearly continued an NCAA Tournament shutout spree until Martinez shocked MSU with a connecting shot in the last seconds of regulation.

“We blocked as a team a number of shots,” Cope said. “We won air balls, and Avery made some big saves. But when it came down to it, the kid had a great hit, and unfortunate for us it went in the back of the net.”

Regardless of the outcome, Michigan State’s narrow fall secured motivation for a determined UNC defense.

“If you get enough numbers back behind the ball, you can eliminate the (counterattack) threat,” Goodwin said. “We weren’t able to once, obviously, but overall I think we did a really good job … One lapse, but it’s not going to happen again.”

Contact the Sports Editor at sports@unc.edu.