Edward Wood’s letter, “The DTH’s decision to sue the University is asinine” (Nov. 10) only paints half the picture. The DTH and its staff may have something to gain from the public attention surrounding the lawsuit, but to say that this action was born solely out of a motive to garner attention and commensurate benefits ignores the interests of those who have much more to gain — us.

When I hear of students who have received harsher punishments for less severe honor code violations than those committed by the members of the football team, it only engenders the notion that the University is serious about enforcing its policies — except for students who generate revenue.

I am at UNC because of standards based on meritocracy, but even questioning that these very standards are kicked to the curb and veiled under protection that may or may not be valid only invites speculation that the University is engaging in unfettered hypocritical practices.

I like to think UNC is more ethical than this.

The lawsuit is about more than the right to information. It is about whether the University is upholding the standards that it inculcates in its community.

The fact that some may benefit from its publicity should in no way diminish the lawsuit’s primary intent, which is to keep those who have a vested interest in UNC informed about the institution that is shaping our formative years.

With this knowledge, we all win.

Sabina Ahmad
Senior
Health Policy and Management