UNC men's soccer team welcomes back Michael Farfan

Senior Michael Farfan was supposed to miss the end of his final regular season for the North Carolina men’s soccer team.

But the 2009 All-American wouldn’t let a severe ankle sprain hinder his comeback in UNC’s 2-0 victory Friday against Clemson.

“I just kept on asking our trainer Allen every day when I was going to be back,” Farfan said. “Throughout the days he just said it was getting better and better. He actually told me that I might be able to play in (Friday’s) game, so I was really excited and did everything I could to make it happen.”

The midfielder wasn’t even supposed to make it back on the pitch for this year’s ACC Tournament — Farfan was expected to return to the field for the first round of the NCAA Tournament on Nov. 18.

Although Farfan admitted that his role in the Tar Heels’ matchup against the Tigers tired him more than usual, fatigue was anything but apparent in the senior’s play.

It took just 20 minutes before Farfan notched his fourth goal of the season on a penalty kick fired to the right past Clemson’s goalie.

“It was deserved,” senior Eddie Ababio said. “Matt (Rose) made a great run down the field and got fouled, and Farfan’s always clutch.”

But Farfan’s influence on the game was obvious well before the shot that established his place as the team’s second-leading goal scorer, tied with fellow midfielder Kirk Urso.

In the seventh minute of the game, Alex Dixon sent a powerful shot straight into Clemson’s defensive wall. Rather than gaining possession and attempting to take an early lead, five Tigers were outmatched by just one Farfan, who provided an opportunity for the Tar Heels by securing a corner kick.

Although the resulting shot on goal was fired wide, Farfan’s impact is one that has nothing but promise for UNC as it heads into tournament season.

“It’s a total difference,” Dixon said. “He’s a playmaker, he sets up everything for us. He opens up a lot more space for everybody on the field, so him coming back is just going to strengthen us more.”

North Carolina welcomed back Farfan’s speed and aggression to Fetzer Field after the midfielder went down against South Carolina two weeks ago and left the game to make a hospital trip. He missed UNC’s next three games with a severe sprain that was thought to be a fracture.

His return — along with the anticipated ACC Tournament comeback of midfielder Stephen McCarthy, who broke his jaw against Liberty — will have a significant impact on the injury-battered Tar Heels in the coming weeks.

“I’m happy he’s back, and you see what he adds to the team — the confidence that he has on the ball,” UNC coach Elmar Bolowich said. “He hardly loses the ball, he makes good decisions, he sees players all around him and in that regard, he is a tremendous asset.”

Contact the Sports Editor at sports@unc.edu.