UNC tops Michigan State in penalty kicks

The fourth-seeded North Carolina men’s soccer team’s 2010 campaign was nine seconds from an abrupt conclusion Sunday, but sophomore midfielder Enzo Martinez wasn’t ready to go home just yet.

With his team trailing Michigan State 1-0 in the waning moments of its third-round NCAA Tournament clash at Fetzer Field, Martinez received a deflected corner kick along the top of the box, took a touch to his right and unfurled a perfect strike that curled into the top-right corner of the goal to resuscitate UNC’s title hopes and send the game into overtime.

Almost thirty minutes later, he was sprinting shirtless across the pitch, hollering in ecstasy after converting his final penalty kick to give UNC a 5-4 PK advantage and book the Tar Heels a place in the NCAA quarterfinals.

“I’ve never dreamed of anything like this happening to me,” Martinez said. “It’s easy to have 10 seconds left and you just put your head down, but we went, and we can say this time that we battled until the last second.”

Martinez’s equalizer was UNC’s first goal in almost 325 minutes of play and capped a furious barrage that saw a Kirk Urso free kick attempt pushed aside by diving Spartan keeper Avery Steinlage and a Stephen McCarthy penalty appeal denied by officials.

Prior to UNC’s late surge, the game had been a back-and-forth affair with each squad creating its fair share of chances and putting three shots on goal during the first half.

Shortly after the break, Martinez foreshadowed his late heroics with a shot nearly identical to his equalizer, but Steinlage managed one of his nine saves by punching the ball over the crossbar.

The Spartans’ defensive fortitude was rewarded 64 minutes into the game when midfielder Cyrus Saydee drew first blood after an hour spent terrorizing UNC defender Matt Rose down the right side of the field.

“He was having a lot of success down there,” Michigan State coach Damon Rensing said. “Once that ball was slotted in, I was pretty comfortable that he was going to finish it.”

Despite the shock of giving up a goal just nine seconds from an upset, the Spartans managed to regroup in the first overtime and very nearly had a winner in the 92nd minute.

After collecting a loose ball in the midfield, Garret Back had a breakaway, but UNC’s sliding goalkeeper Scott Goodwin deflected the ball with his head just right of the goal.

After neither team scored during the two 10-minute overtime periods, the Tar Heels were forced into their second penalty-kick shootout in as many weeks after knocking out Georgetown 5-4 on Nov. 21.

Despite Saydee’s outstanding performance, it was he who had the game’s decisive miss when Goodwin sprawled out to his left to stop a soft shot that was MSU’s second of the shootout. For the second week in a row, all five Tar Heels converted their penalty kicks, and UNC was set for its third straight trip to the NCAA quarterfinals.

It is the first time in program history that UNC has accomplished this feat, which comes a year after the Tar Heels made back-to-back trips to the College Cup.

“I thought it was a real well-played game by both teams,” UNC coach Elmar Bolowich said. “A lot of effort went into this game.”

The Tar Heels continue their NCAA Tournament push Friday night at Fetzer Field, where they will host SMU at 7 p.m.

Contact the Sports Editor at sports@unc.edu.