French swimmer setting UNC record

Colin Bridier is gunning for the North Carolina record books while he still has time in Chapel Hill. The French foreign exchange student is grappling with the decision to return to UNC next year. He’s already broken one teammate’s 100-yard breaststroke record despite sitting out the first two meets due to compliance and eligibility issues with the NCAA.

North Carolina swimmer Colin Bridier’s days as a Tar Heel might be numbered, but the French exchange student has already ensured that his name will not quickly be forgotten.

He’s nabbed three first-place finishes in two dual meets, helped his team to an undefeated 4-0 record and slashed senior teammate Vinny Pryor’s school record in the 100-yard breaststroke.

During Bridier’s first few months in America, the jet-lagged athlete has been bogged down with frequent globe-trotting and an NCAA eligibility conflict — but it hasn’t stopped Bridier from making his mark in his new environment.

The name and accomplishment of UNC’s first exchange student turned swimming standout will soon adorn the wall of records in the Koury Natatorium, replacing those of his teammate’s feat from earlier this year.

But Pryor has no hard feelings.

“I look at him as just being a part of the team, and I was really happy for him when he broke it,” Pryor said. “Everyone is just really excited that he’s here and excited that he’s really talented … because it brings a lot to our team, and it makes us better.” *
Welcome to America*

Third-year students at Bridier’s French university, Sciences Po-Paris, must study abroad. For the swimmer who had never been to the United States, a top American university and a good swimming program had to be a package deal.

In January, Bridier’s university informed him that he would be attending UNC-Chapel Hill in the fall, and the dual French and Swiss citizen wasted no time contacting swimming coach Rich DeSelm. After looking at Bridier’s times and learning of his previous experience, DeSelm knew the exchange student would be a prized addition to the Tar Heel squad.

Just two months into the season, Bridier has already proved his worth. Bridier impressed DeSelm with both his swimming talents, as well as his presence among his teammates, as he raised the level of competition within the men’s team.

“It’s double-edged,” DeSelm said. “They embrace Colin being here because he adds a lot of positives to the team, but on the other hand, our guys are very competitive. So for some people, he may be perceived as someone who potentially could take my spot.”

While Bridier has seen instant success in America, he was forced to adjust to an unfamiliar style of training and competing.

Affected by shorter, single-day dual meets and a more intense practice routine, Bridier said he has seen improvements from increasing his workouts to nine fast-paced practices a week at UNC from the six per week he practiced in Europe.

“Every day you have something fast. Every day you have to kick your ass,” Bridier said. “If we had a fast thing every day (in France), people would go on strike, I think.”

A world of difference

Bridier has adapted well to swimming overseas, but his transition wasn’t without its share of challenges.

Before being eligible to swim for UNC, Bridier had to complete complicated NCAA compliance paperwork that differs from those given to freshmen recruits. Intercollegiate swimming and a governing body like the NCAA doesn’t exist in Europe, so the concept of filing for amateurism was foreign to Bridier.

“I had earned money (for swimming) in Europe and I didn’t know it was forbidden here,” Bridier said. “It’s like 200 bucks, it’s not a lot. I didn’t think it would be a problem so I just declared it.”

But when an interrogation immediately followed, Bridier quickly grasped the stringency of the policy.

“They were like, ‘Oh okay, where did you get this money? Who gave you that money? Was it in cash?’” he said. “And I was like, ‘Oh, shit.’”

Due to the complication, Bridier had to sit out the first two meets of the season. But on Oct. 29, he found his way back to the pool — his home away from home.

In his first meet, Bridier won both the 100- and 200-yard breaststroke events and helped UNC beat Maryland. An unfamiliar regulation and culture aside, Bridier’s talent proved to be one thing that remained constant even on a different continent.

*No ‘I’ in team *

In France, Bridier swims for Vevey Natation, a club team that helps to prepare him for national and international competitions. Before coming to UNC, Bridier had experienced a team environment but none quite like that of the Tar Heels.

“You’re a champion in your head and you do your stuff, but we don’t have all these phrases in the locker room and it’s more individual,” Bridier said. “Team is really important here. That’s something I’ve never had before … and it really motivates me.”

While it took some time to fully integrate himself into UNC’s family-like atmosphere, Bridier is grateful for the support of his teammates and his newfound friendships.

In mid-November, Bridier flew to Switzerland to qualify for European championships. Keeping in mind his extended family at UNC, he returned bearing gifts.

“He came back with a bunch of chocolate,” Pryor said. “He came in the locker room with it, put it down and was just letting everyone take their pick. A bunch of us thought that was really cool.”

Au revoir?

During Thanksgiving break, Bridier competed in European championships in the Netherlands, and the proud athlete hopes to qualify for the 2012 Olympic Trials.

But in addition to his international aspirations, Bridier is also devoted to excelling as a Tar Heel.

“He’s absolutely dedicated to doing well in school and swimming, and that’s a great example,” DeSelm said. “I just wish that he could be around longer … he is certainly doing everything that he can to prove himself here and benefit our program.”

Bridier said that UNC coaches have asked him to stay at school for his final year of college, and although he is still unsure, Bridier is keeping his options open.

He’s more than 4,000 miles from home, but Bridier might not be ready to say au revoir just yet.

“I have so many options, but with the result I had (a few weeks ago), I think it would be great for me to stay one more year,” Bridier said. “I’m swimming fast, so I don’t know why I would change.”

Contact the Sports Editor at sports@unc.edu.