As an employee who loves UNC, I am very concerned with the continuous cuts in academic programs.

Most of us who work for the University and make average incomes have already suffered due to budget problems. We have not had a pay increase in years and were forced to take a day without pay last year. I have also read numerous times about other administrative positions being cut and people being laid off.

We administrative people, the people who process students’ registrations, do the University’s accounting, assist professors, advise students and help keep the buildings and grounds functional and clean are the backbone of this college. Without us, the college would not run. We do not need more salary cuts or layoffs. If you are going to cut salaries, cut the top six-figure-or-more salaries.

I would dare say a 2 to 10 percent cut in their salary would not affect them that much (it may mean they have to not play golf as much, not take their plush vacation, etc.) and it would help with our budget dilemma a darn sight more that cutting my five figure average income salary.

Lastly, in no way should students have to shoulder this along with us administration people, by either having less courses to choose from or paying a lot more for their college. I have a son in college, and believe me, it is a struggle to afford it right now.

Kathy Morgan

Cont. Ed. Office

The Friday Center