North Carolina bests Tennessee in wild bowl game

Casey Barth is all smiles after his game-winning field goal gave UNC a 30-27 victory against Tennessee in the Music City Bowl in Nashville.

NASHVILLE, Tenn. – T.J. Yates got his storybook ending, after all.

In the Franklin American Mortgage Music City Bowl, Yates looked as if he let his chance get away when Dwight Jones let Yates’ 4th down hurl fall incomplete with 1:36 remaining.

But Yates got a second opportunity with 31 seconds remaining, and he drove the Tar Heels 57 yards to set up Casey Barth for a field goal, en route to an otherworldly 30-27 double-overtime win against Tennessee.

When Jones dropped the 4th-and-20 pass, Yates wondered if he had thrown the final ball of his college career.

“A lot of guys on offense didn’t think we’d get another chance, and I was one of them,” Yates said. “I was coming off the field thinking the game was over, but we had two timeouts and the defense could give us a shot.”

The defense held serve, stifling three Volunteer runs for a loss of 1 yard, setting the stage for a dramatic ending.

Dramatic may be an understatement, as referee Dennis Lipski announced the “game is over” with UNC losing 20-17 and no time left on the clock.

A lengthy review later, Lipski gave the Tar Heels a five-yard penalty and one second.

Barth put the field goal down the middle, sending the game to overtime.

The defense came up large in overtime, as Quan Sturdivant picked off a Tyler Bray pass to get UNC the chance to win with a field goal, which they did three plays later.

The Volunteers were able to move the ball through the air after safety Deunta Williams fractured his right fibula in the first quarter, connecting on long balls of 29 and 45 yards.

“He’s one of our leaders,” junior defensive tackle Quinton Coples said. “His injury took a toll on us, as far as him being out and injured.”

Lost in the final 16 seconds of regulation were the contributions of the game’s MVP. Running back Shaun Draughn took home the award with 160 yards on 23 carries.

“Shaun had a great night,” UNC coach Butch Davis said. “It was great to see him back healthy, 100 percent able to run.”

Draughn got a sizeable chunk of that on one run in the first quarter, when he ran right, and the offensive line cleared every Vol out, leaving Draughn staring at just Janzen Jackson in the way of the end zone.

“The run that I had in the first half, it was perfect,” Draughn said. ?“They blocked it up perfect. They parted, and there was just one more person to beat.”

Beat him Draughn did. He cut back toward the middle of the field, leaving Jackson on the ground, having grasped at nothing but air.

“We missed him all year long, but he sure came through tonight like a complete champion,” Davis said.

Contact the Sports Editor at sports@dailytarheel.com.