Teach for America gives hope to the less fortunate

To be honest, Arizona wasn’t where I imagined my journey would take me. So why do I look forward to moving to a state that is now popularly equated with violent partisan politics and immigration laws likened to the Jim Crow era?

As a first-generation college student, I have spent a great deal of time reflecting on the link between education and opportunity. Teach For America seemed to me to be a perfect fit; an organization committed to solving the achievement gap by connecting the most driven, dedicated college graduates with the communities that would most benefit from their vibrancy.

I will join 450 other passionate individuals to ensure that the students of Phoenix get a quality education, one that will empower their generation to correct the mistakes of their predecessors.
I will not let my students be marginalized in the heat of political tension. My classroom will be a place where I will emphasize acceptance, collaboration, the value of diversity. Those are more than buzzwords. They’re our way forward.

As Carolina students, we strive to make the world better. Let’s start with equal opportunity.

Let’s start by leveling the playing field.

Let’s start by refusing to accept what is and instead form our world by standing for what can be.

Only 1 in 10 students in low-income communities will experience university as you and I know it. Though I expect it to be one of the most demanding jobs I will ever have, I will teach for all 10.
What will you teach for?

Jesalyn Keziah
Senior
International Studies-Global Health and Environment Major