1. Caribou, Swim

Swim is an appropriate title for an album that places its listener in a melodic ocean, flowing in and out between dark, negative spaces and moments of overwhelming timbre. From the first track, it’s clear that mathematician Daniel Snaith never fully abandoned his roots in intelligent dance music. “Odessa” takes the essence of IDM — live instrument samples and a danceable electronic beat — and expands on it with Snaith’s airy ambience, resulting in a deep track with enough instant gratification to still be enjoyed at high volume. — Joseph Chapman

2. Sharon Van Etten, Epic

Sometimes the simplest formula is the best one, and Sharon Van Etten has mastered this philosophy. Hers is a mixture of eloquent, heartbreaking lyrics, unexpected chord progressions and an occasional hum of harmonium, but these seemingly pedestrian ingredients amount to something astonishing and honest. — Linnie Greene

3. Kanye West, My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy

For the record, this isn’t on Dive’s top ten solely because Pitchfork lauded it with an eye-popping perfect ten. Truthfully, the media giants were onto something. Kanye’s always been the king of image, rap and the liminal state that falls between the two terms, but My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy is the culmination this artful balance. —Linnie Greene

4. Titus Andronicus, The Monitor

These guys have officially made “Jersey” an adjective and defined it as themselves. Carrying a Springsteenian torch of woeful viscera and self-conscious bombast, they echo the triumphs and heartaches that many a Jersey artist has before cried. They’re also fun when they’re drunk. —Rocco Giamatteo

5. Gayngs, Relayted

In theory, Gayngs’ Relayted should be an absolute disaster, but leave it to a bunch of indie heavyweights to make smooth, love-making jazz-pop into something totally awesome. Album opener “The Gaudy Side of Town” embraces the band’s gold-lamé-covered sound right off the bat, and it’s instantly lovable. — Linnie Greene

6. The Tallest Man on Earth, The Wild Hunt

This Swedish singer-songwriter has an infectious voice and exquisite guitar skills. Kristian Matsson whispers and shouts his way through intimate tales, picking and strumming like a modern Bob Dylan. The quality of the album warrants this lofty comparison, but don’t take our word for it, listen for yourself. — Joe Faile

7. Deerhunter, Halcyon Digest

Deerhunter’s nostalgia is the perfect backdrop for the fragmented and corrupted memories Halcyon Digest centers itself around. The band’s sound is more vintage-pop this time around and is a major shift away from its earlier experimental, noisy EPs and side projects. A change for the better. — Joseph Chapman

8. The Black Keys, Brothers

This album is straight up rock ‘n’ roll. Any of the songs could be thrown into the mix of a classic rock radio station and blend right in, but don’t mistake it for a rehash of old favorites. The original scathing axes and thumping percussion gain the support of a full lineup to produce an energized final product. — Joe Faile

9. Jónsi, Go

Unlike Jonsi’s former role in Sigur Ros, the singer’s solo debut is light and revitalizing, like a drive through the countryside on a sunny day. Jonsi’s clear-as-a-bell vocals and effervescent songwriting is fantastical and mystical, and it’s this fairytale-like quality that distinguishes the singer’s latest from past projects. — Linnie Greene

10. Toro Y Moi, Causers of This

Chillwave has become one of those words like “ironic” — so misused that it’s hard to tell what falls into said category. Toro Y Moi was one of 2010’s chillwave standouts, and it’s safe to say the South Carolinian’s release drew on the best the genre had to offer, mixing spacey, lush arrangements with pop accessibility. — Linnie Greene