I am sure that Adam Blaser (“God loves all, including homosexuals, equally,” Feb. 2) thought he was being quite tolerant, even respectful, of LGBT-identified people when he wrote that everyone is a sinner and God loves us equally. However, he fails to realize that homosexuality is not a sin. There is nothing wrong with being LGBT; there is nothing God wants to change about it.

Yes, there are those six “clobber passages” that condemn certain types of same-sex acts. But there are also verses that condemn getting tattoos (Leviticus 19:28) or eating shrimp (Leviticus 11:10). Even in the New Testament we are told that women must not speak during church — at all (I Corinthians 14:34-35). The Bible is full of hundreds of verses that Christians ignore, and that is because the Bible wasn’t written to us. It was written to specific cultures at specific times. We must figure out what still applies and what doesn’t — after all, God gave us the powers of critical thinking.

And LGBT people do not choose to be who they are. They are just as able to live successful lives. Their families are as well-adjusted as opposite-sex-headed households. So to use the Bible, in 2011, to explain that homosexuality is a sin is to use the Bible to justify your own ignorance and/or hatred.

John Michael Watkins
Junior
Spanish