Old features, new face: ConnectCarolina finally gives fresh look to old favorites

With the official death of Student Central on (ironically) Valentine’s Day, students now have no choice but to turn to ConnectCarolina.

It’s no secret that it has been a tough transition. And frankly, the registration system still feels a little unwieldy compared to the easy (if rudimentary) user interface of Student Central.

But the recent, if belated, addition of several features we loved about Student Central has given hope that ConnectCarolina is finally coming into its own.

One is Tar Heel Tracker. Anyone familiar with the old GRADS system in Student Central would recognize this degree audit as a new-and-improved version.

It’s actually disappointing that it is only currently available to freshmen and sophomores if for no other reason than juniors and seniors could really use it.

The reprisal of the GPA calculator is also welcome. No one ever wants to know that it will take 75 hours of “A’s” in order to graduate with that 3.8 GPA you always wanted — but the tool is there.

Tar Heel Tracker and the GPA calculator were both featured in platform planks for student body president this year. It reflects how much students value them, in addition to supporting our long-standing belief that platforms exploit ongoing projects for candidates’ aggrandizement.

There’s one more feature that was sorely missed in Student Central that has been reincarnated in ConnectCarolina.

The “unofficial transcript” was a simple course and grade summary that everyone who wanted to apply for an internship or get a discount on auto insurance leaned on heavily.

The “My Course History” page will surely help a lot of students, especially since the Registrar’s Office is faced with a glut of official transcript requests that has caused major headaches.

This isn’t to say that all is well. One timeline for the implementation of ConnectCarolina places the degree audit and grading feature rollouts at last October. Students were left with a decaying Student Central while ConnectCarolina was less than satisfying. And the registration interface remains a problem.

But progress often comes in small steps.