Tar Heels edge Eagles, 48-46

UNC scores its lowest point total in Smith Center history, wins anyway

4783_mhoops_side_allison_russellf.jpg
Professors Geni Eng of the Gillings School of Global Public Health, Dottie Holland of the Dept. of Anthropology, and anthropology doctoral student Gina Drew will lead a Campus Conversation on Models of Engaged Scholarship, based on their year-long interdisciplinary work to understand commonalities and differences in engagement and to foster interdisciplinary discourse on directing the work of engaged scholarship at UNC.

After pasting Boston College by 32 points in Chestnut Hill three weeks ago, the North Carolina men’s basketball team got everything it could handle from the visiting Eagles, but hung on for a 48-46 victory Saturday at the Smith Center.

It was an ugly offensive day for both teams, who combined to score the second fewest points in Smith Center history. The Tar Heels’ 48 points were the lowest they’ve ever scored since moving from Carmichael Auditorium in 1986.

Despite shooting just 36.8 percent from the field, UNC looked liked it was going to run away and hide early in the second half after Tyler Zeller scored seven consecutive points to give UNC a 31-23 lead with 14:23 remaining. Zeller finished the afternoon with a game-high 16 points.

The Tar Heels led by as many as 15 in the second half, but a pair of 3-pointers by BC guard Corey Raji spurred a 10-0 run that brought the Eagles within five with 4:52 left in the game. The run coincided with a stretch in which the Tar Heels turned the ball over on five straight possessions.

Boston College would cut the lead to two with 1:12 left. Kendall Marshall’s would-be game-clinching layup rimmed out, giving the Eagles a chance to tie or win with 38 seconds left.

BC guard Reggie Jackson attempted a 3-pointer over John Henson from straightaway, but the ball bounced off the inside of the rim and out, allowing UNC to escape with the 48-46 victory.