Baseball defeats High Point 4-0

5752_baseballf.jpg

North Carolina’s starting pitcher Wednesday, right-hander Chris Munnelly hurls a pitch from the bump while Colin Moran awaits the play. Munnelly picked up the win in three innings, giving up one hit and one walk.

When High Point pitcher Corey Swickle last played North Carolina, he didn’t last an inning in relief after surrendering a walk-off grand slam.

In UNC’s 4-0 win Wednesday night, Swickle was one out from two full innings with Jesse Wierzbicki on first. This time the Tar Heels (20-3) beat Swickle with their feet.

Wierzbicki stole second base before Brian Holberton knocked a pitch down the third base line for an RBI single. After one more out, High Point pulled Swickle.

“It was a big hit by Brian Holberton, getting his first start (in the infield),” Wierzbicki said. “I can’t say enough about the kid … He put a good swing on the bat and fortunately I was in scoring position.”

Holberton filled in for junior Levi Michael, who is recovering from a sprained left ankle suffered Tuesday night.

“(Holberton’s) been waiting his opportunity and he got it,” UNC coach Mike Fox said. “I said before the game, I told the players, ‘I bet he’s going to have some kind of impact on the game,’ and sure enough he drives in the first run and turns a double play.”

The Panthers threw six different pitchers at UNC, and as a unit they held No. 12 North Carolina’s bats to only seven hits.

But the Tar Heels’ pitching and defense really only needed Wierzbicki’s run. The shutout win was the first in 10 games for UNC.

“Tommy Coyle said after the game, ‘I know it was only 4-0, but I felt like we were up like 10-0,’” junior catcher Jacob Stallings said. “We just had complete confidence in our bullpen that we were going to win that game.”

Starting pitcher Chris Munnelly got things started for UNC and pitched three scoreless innings while giving up just one hit.

UNC allowed just four hits, with High Point’s batters either flying out or grounding out the entire game.

The Tar Heels’ three other runs came off a two-run homer over the right field wall by Colin Moran and a seventh inning sacrifice fly by Ben Bunting.

Of course, scoring runners isn’t new to Moran. The freshman leads UNC this season with 30 RBIs.

“He’s been unbelievable,” Wierzbicki said. “It’s tough to do for anybody, but especially as a freshman to come in here and do what he’s been doing is just unbelievable. I can’t say enough about the kid.”

The Tar Heels average slightly more than eight runs a game, but Fox said the 4-0 final was the kind of game he likes.

“We had one walk and we played good defense, so one of those clean games that we like,” Fox said. “You come in as a coach after and say, ‘Now that’s how the game is supposed to be played right there.’ You know, crisp.”

Contact the Sports Editor at sports@dailytarheel.com.