DTH should better support the UNC basketball team

Picking up my standard newspaper on the trek to work Monday, I found myself disappointed to read the message screaming from the front page. Dear basketball players, on behalf of the student body: Never mind the fact that you beat Duke to jump start Spring Break and become ACC regular season champs. Who cares if you made it to the final round of the ACC tournament after two heart-stopping comebacks? Harrison Barnes only scored 40 points against Clemson? Psh, okay. You lost the ACC tournament. To Duke. Shame on you, boys.

Are we really so mortified that we have to dedicate two front page articles to one loss, as we brush off a week’s worth of achievements? The DTH seems to have fallen into a sickening pattern. On the increasingly rare occasions that our young men lose a game, you can count on their shortcomings to be plastered on the front page. Their wins get pushed to the back, or buried inside. Why don’t we show our team the support they deserve with a little front page love as they dominate the NCAA tournament? And if they happen to fall short, let us not forget the immeasurable growth that we have witnessed in every single one of our players this season. Let us be proud to call these men our Tar Heel boys and give them the respect that they have earned. Win or lose, the only thing I love more than Carolina basketball is the team that plays it.

Heather Myers

Junior

Psychology