Greek Week. The very name elicits reactions ranging from a dismissive groan to the overly animated “sign me up for everything” attitude.

The weeklong event kicking off this Friday is, as its official vision states, an opportunity to “encourage a positive Greek image, promote unity among the Greek community and provide a series of exciting events for brothers and sisters of the Carolina Greek community to enjoy.” The ironic twist? Three of the eight Greek Week events are open to unaffiliated students.

When the Greek Affairs committee interviewed both Greek and non-Greek students, the response was less than enthusiastic. Some Greeks seemed confused over the open invitation, while unaffiliated students either had no knowledge of the event or just saw it as a half-hearted attempt to clear up misconceptions about the Greek community.

The opening up of Greek Week activities begs the question: Are Greeks fighting a fight against being exclusive, when in fact, Greek organizations are by their very nature just that?

But we feel this overlooks the intended purpose of the whole event. Last year, the event raised $3,543 for Habitat for Humanity, and this year’s chosen philanthropy is the Lineberger Comprehensive Cancer Center. Hopefully, that should be a cause strong enough to transcend the less than original Greek/non-Greek debate.

Emily Adams

Greek Affairs Council