I will be the first to admit that this election was less than ideal. I understand, probably better than most, the pain that is associated with the creation of a false perception of someone, or the perpetuation of negative rumors by campus media. For any part that I played in that negativity, I want to apologize.

However, I will not apologize for pointing out the fundamental faults in student government. If this election has taught us anything, it is that the pettiness and drama-filled nature of student government hinders progress. If the Board of Elections would have ruled in accordance with the Student Code in November, or enforced the law of the Code anytime thereafter, we could have avoided the fiasco that this election became.

Unfortunately, this type of spectacle is nothing new to those of us who have worked in student government. However, despite the negativity and the arduous nature of this election, I think it has shown each of you how necessary substantial reform is — student government must refocus on things that matter to the greater Carolina community.

I endorsed Mary Cooper on Friday because I believe she speaks to and has a vision for that change that Ian Lee did not possess. The election is over, and it is time for us all to move forward and put the interests of the University and our fellow students beyond that of our own. I am ready to do just that. I hope you will join me.

Rick Ingram

Junior

Economics and Political Science