UNC baseball defeats Charlotte 4-2 behind freshman pitcher

After eight strong innings, North Carolina left-hander Kent Emanuel emerged from the dugout to start the ninth inning looking at a 4-0 lead and a chance at a complete game shutout.

UNC-Charlotte’s Justin Seager had other ideas as he opened up the top of the ninth with a single. Miguel Rodriguez reached on an error and Cory Tilton pushed them both across the plate with a double, cutting the Tar Heel lead in half.

Reliever Cody Penny trotted on to the field after the 49ers’ first offensive spurt and forced Charlotte into a four-six-three double play and a Justin Wilson strikeout as the Tar Heels (7-1) captured the 4-2 win.

“I thought I was about to get it.” Penny said. “But Tommy (Coyle) and Levi (Michael), you feel so comfortable when you got guys like that behind you.”

Emanuel picked up the win, fanning nine batters and allowing Charlotte (7-2) only four hits in his eight innings. The 49ers scored only two runs, representing a huge dip in offensive production. Charlotte came in to the match with the Tar Heels averaging more than 11 runs per game.

Emanuel sat down the first six 49ers in order, including four strikeouts. It took the 49ers until the third inning to earn a base runner when Ross Steedley hit a lead-off single. But Steedley’s single was the only hit the 49ers could manage against Emanuel in the first six innings.

The start for Emanuel was his first at Boshamer Stadium, but the freshman made his first appearance for the Tar Heels against Missouri, going five innings and giving up six hits compared to just two strikeouts.

“After the Missouri game, I realized I could just be myself and pitch normally and be successful.” Emanuel said.

UNC coach Mike Fox might think successful is an understatement.

“That was pretty special right there,” Fox said. “We thought Kent was going to be good when we recruited him … he just has great temperament. He had great tempo today.”

Leadoff man Ben Bunting got the offense started right away for the Tar Heels with a single to right field in the home half of the first inning. Bunting stole second and second baseman Tommy Coyle brought him home with a double to right field.

The early hit parade continued as Michael drove in Coyle with a double of his own. Michael crossed the plate while Jacob Stallings grounded into a double play pushing the Tar Heels out in front 3-0.

But the Tar Heels wouldn’t score again until the seventh inning, thanks to a slew of Charlotte left-handed pitchers.

In the seventh, Michael ended up at third base after he belted a shot over the left fielder’s head and high off the wall. Michael tagged and scored off Stallings’ sacrifice fly to center field to provide the fourth and final run for the Tar Heels.

Even though the Tar Heels went through a six-inning offensive drought and left 12 runners on base, the four runs that crossed the plate proved to be enough.

“We were not very good today, certainly with runners in scoring position,” Fox said. “They’re one swing away from tying the game and then all the pressure is on us. I was disappointed we weren’t able to extend the lead after the first inning.”

Contact the Sports Editor at sports@dailytarheel.com.