The photo on page 7 of the April 5 paper (“Timber!”) of the downed holly tree was not one of the hollies planted at the turn of the century by Francis LeClair.

According to Michael Dirr’s handbook “Noble Grove — A Walking Tour of Campus Trees,” it is listed as “the venerable tree on McCorkle Place estimated to be more than 200 years old, possibly a remnant of the original forest like the Davie Poplar.”

Many of the original LeClair hollies can be found around campus, notably around Coker and Mitchell halls. Sadly, the major LeClair collection surrounding the Alumni Building on McCorkle Place was uprooted during recent foundation waterproofing and renovation to the Alumni Building.

The sudden loss of this ancient tree should serve as a timely reminder of the fragility of our historic campus landscape and the need to prepare for the eventual demise of the Davie Poplar, which will probably happen without warning.

The Chancellor and administration ought to have contingency plans in place for this eventuality so that the void on McCorkle Place could be filled and that Davie is not just carted off to the woodpile.

F. Marion Redd

Class of ’67