Hardy propels UNC men’s tennis win on Senior Day

Senior Stefan Hardy finished his career at the Cone-Kenfield Tennis Center victoriously on Sunday, helping the North Carolina men’s tennis team to a 5-2 Senior Day win against Florida State.

Hardy and doubles partner Joey Burkhardt upset No. 23 Vahid Mirzadeh and Conner Smith, 8-4, to help UNC clinch the doubles point.

Before the singles matches started, UNC coach Sam Paul held a brief ceremony honoring the careers of fifth-year seniors Kyle Baker and Hardy.

“I think it’s something they’ll hopefully remember, but I think they’re more concerned about the team win,” Paul said.

Hardy followed the doubles upset with a straight-set singles win against Smith. After being down 4-2 in the second set, Hardy responded to break Smith’s service game twice.

Hardy finished his home career with a crosscourt backhand winner and a 7-5, 6-4 victory. Hardy has a career singles record of 79-38.

“It’s more important and a little more special to the seniors than every other match,” Hardy said. “I think the whole team wants to win for the seniors.”

Hardy said he felt honored to match the 2009 team’s record of nine conference wins ­— a mark which the Tar Heels have now achieved four times.

Paul said a banner will be hung inside and outside at Cone-Kenfield to commemorate Hardy’s career, which included a run to the doubles semifinals with former doubles partner Clay Donato in the 2010 NCAA Men’s Tennis Championships.

“We’re going to miss that guy,” Paul said. “He was down a break in both sets today, but came back and won both. That’s a result of his experience.”

“Stefan and (fellow senior) Kyle (Baker) have brought so much experience and confidence to the team,” Brennan Boyajian said. “They tell us this is probably the best team they’ve been on here.”

Boyajian has done his best recently to make that statement true.

Boyajian defeated Clint Bowles 6-3, 6-2 to win his fourth consecutive singles match — all of which have come in straight sets.

Boyajian’s competitiveness often shows when he struggles during matches. After being broken in his first two service games Sunday, Boyajian yelled, “What am I doing?”

Boyajian answered his own question — holding serve for the remainder of the match.

“I go out there feeling like if I play my best, I’ll win every match,” Boyajian said.

He said his upset win against Duke’s Reid Carleton on Wednesday helped his confidence and propelled him to his wins against Miami’s Keith Crowley and Smith this weekend.

Before his win streak, Boyajian had lost consecutive singles matches on the road against Virginia and Clemson.

“Those losses definitely put some fire in my belly,” Boyajian. “I don’t want to let the team down.”

Contact the Sports Editor at sports@dailytarheel.com.