Record Store Day is one of the few days worth waking up at the crack of dawn. For musically minded folks, it’s like Christmas — special releases, in-stores and a gaggle of fellow audiophiles. Here’s Dive’s guide for this year’s local festivities.

CD Alley 405-C West Franklin St.

“There’s not enough stuff to go around … We’re trying to get as many of the special releases in stock as possible.”
RYAN RICHARDSON, owner and manager of CD Alley

Bull City Records 1916 Perry St.

“This one day acts as a combined celebration between the stores and the regulars that keep us open and … that’s a really special thing.”
CHAZ MARTENSTEIN, owner of Bull City Records

All Day Records 112-A E. Main St.

“We’re going to have some friends come in and DJ and we’ll probably have some snacks.”
ETHAN CLAUSET, co-owner of All Day Records

Schoolkids Records 2114 Hillsborough St.

“The stuff that people are looking the most for is usually the hardest stuff to get, so you’ve just got to get here an hour or so in advance…”
KYLE ROSKO, Schoolkids employee

Special releases:

Fucked Up Town Comp
As soon as news of this release started circulating, fans were intrigued. Word on the street (and Internet, as it were) goes something like this: Innovative Canadian punk rockers Fucked Up have created an album comprised entirely of fictional British bands set in the late ’70s and early ’80s.
What will it sound like? Truth be told, Dive has no idea, but judging from the band’s past projects, it’ll surely be off the beaten path. As concepts go, this one seems like a solid theme. The pressing is a limited 800, so head out early if you’ve got designs on this one. -Linnie Greene

Phish TWO SOUNDCHECKS
This record store day marks a major moment in Phishstory — the band’s first live concert released on vinyl. With only 2,000 copies being pressed, make sure to call ahead and get to your record store of choice early for this one. TWO SOUNDCHECKS is as straightforward as it gets for the sometimes-cryptic band — two soundcheck jams from two recent performances.
The B-side jam is taken from a soundcheck to the 2009 Hartford, Conn., show and features frontman and guitarist Trey Anastasio on bass — nothing new for the instrument-swapping jam rockers, but Phish promises this recording is extra exotic. – Joseph Chapman

Superchunk/Coliseum Horror Business/Bullet
Pairing iconic punk rockers The Misfits with modern Chapel Hill legends Superchunk seems only natural. Louisville, Ky.’s lesser-known Coliseum should be equally adept at adapting the beloved band’s tunes.
This split single features Misfits hits “Horror Business” and “Bullet,” and judging from what we’ve heard of Superchunk and Coliseum’s respective work, it should be a single whose sides are as different as night and day. This release might fly off local shelves. -Linnie Greene

James Blake Self-Titled
Electronic soul wunderkind James Blake has been setting the blogs on fire, so there’s no doubt that the Brit’s special Record Store Day release will have fans clambering to get their hands on a copy.
The 12” LP will be an early release of Blake’s anticipated full-length along with exclusive tracks “Tap and the Logic” and “You Know Your Youth.” Judging from the copious amounts of YouTube videos we’ve watched, the record will be well worth the long lines, but be aware: There might be a few folks throwing elbows for this sucker. – Linnie Greene