Taking down records

Corey Donohoe breaks multiple lacrosse marks

Photo: Taking down records (Elizabeth Mendoza)
Women's LAX v. Old Dominion

From the beginning of her career at UNC, it was evident that senior attacker Corey Donohoe was going to make her mark on the North Carolina women’s lacrosse program. Her winning tenure as a member on the team has nearly concluded, but Donohoe is not slipping silently into the background.

Instead, she has continued her strong performance from her junior year and added her name in the record books under two important categories — all-time goals leader and as of Saturday, the all-time points leader.

“I don’t think her record breaking was necessarily her goal,” senior tri-captain Taylor Chumney said. “But to be the best she could be for the team and with that came a lot of goals and assists, so I think her competitive fire is what got her to finally break that.”

With less than six minutes off the clock in College Park, MD., Donohoe scored an unassisted goal to break her tie with Kellie Thompson for the all-time points leader with 223 points.

Donohoe didn’t stop at breaking the record — she went on to score six more points for a total of three goals and four assists.

“It’s such an amazing accomplishment and I’m very honored and proud,” Donohoe said. “But as coach (Jenny Levy) always says, any accomplishment like this is always part of an entire team effort. I can’t take full credit for it all. They push me every day to get better.”

Nearly a week before shattering Thompson’s points record, Donohoe replaced her all-time goals scored record against Virginia Tech in Blacksburg, Va. Much like her record-breaking goal against Maryland, Donohoe entered the game tied for Thompson’s record and proceeded to break it almost immediately.

The Jarrettsville, Md., native did not wait until this season to begin breaking records. Last year, she grabbed the record for number of points scored in a season with 77 on 54 goals and 23 assists.

The 54 goals led UNC while her 23 career-high assists tied the team high. The strong junior year campaign resulted in Donohoe receiving first-team All-America recognition by IWLCA and womenslax.com. She was also named to the All-ACC team for the second time.

Though the final awards have not been handed out this season, as of early March, Donohoe was on the Tewaaraton Award watch list along with teammates Mia Hurrin and Laura Zimmerman. The list is comprised of the top collegiate lacrosse players and will eventually be whittled down to the top male and female finalists in May.

Donohoe makes a strong case for a Tewaaraton Award as she owns a .562 shooting percentage off 36 goals from 64 shots. This season alone the senior has started all 13 games and has 48 points.

Donohoe may hold several impressive records, but there’s more to be done, she said.

“Anybody’s number one goal is to always win a national championship,” Donohoe said. “And it’s all about the team goal. Really to accomplish that would be amazing.”

Contact the Sports Editor at sports@dailytarheel.com.