Two compete for ASG presidency in UNC system

The UNC Association of Student Governments president is having to fight to hold onto his position.

After a rocky year of student organizations questioning the association’s effectiveness, President Atul Bhula and his challenger, UNC sophomore Kevin Kimball, will be traveling to campuses across the state this month.

Both student leaders are campaigning to prove they are the best choice for next year’s ASG president.

Former ASG President Greg Doucette said he has watched the association’s efforts from the sidelines this year and isn’t impressed.

“To have an incumbent be opposed by any kind of substantive opposition is usually a sign that the group is not where it needs to be,” he said.

Doucette, who is also president-elect of N.C. Central University’s law school, said he has considered rejoining the association next year as a delegate to help improve the association’s focus.

“To have opposition tells me that ASG is in a pickle,” Doucette said.

The association, which is funded by $1 in students fees from all students in the system, is made up of delegates from all 17 UNC-system schools. Delegates meet monthly at different campuses across the state to discuss issues affecting the student body, such as tuition.

The president of the association is paid a $7,000 stipend to oversee the organization.

Kimball said he decided to run for president because he was frustrated with the lack of student advocacy the association accomplished this year.

“The university is facing some of its largest budget cuts ever,” Kimball said.

“We need strong leadership this year if we’re going to be able to reduce the effect it’s going to have on students.”

Kimball is running on a ticket with senior vice president candidate Ethan Harrelson, a delegate from N.C. State University.

If elected, Kimball said their primary focus will be addressing student concerns and representing them at the N.C. General Assembly.

He said he also hopes to make monthly meetings more effective.

“When people say that something is going to be done, whether that is the president or the senior vice president, it needs to actually get done,” Kimball said.

The association could use a change in leadership because preparation for meetings has been lacking, he said.

“The meetings seem to be thrown together at the last minute, and that’s why meetings aren’t as effective,” Kimball said.

Bhula, the incumbent candidate, is running with senior vice-president candidate Arjay Quizon, a delegate from UNC-Pembroke.

Bhula said he thinks the organization could have done a better job of lobbying this year and hopes to improve face-to-face time with legislators by exploring the option of a paid lobbyist position within the organization.

“It’s a good resource for student fees because they are going to get a lot more back in their investment if they have somebody down there lobbying for them,” he said.

But the Board of Governor’s UNC Policy Manual prohibits the association from hiring a designated lobbyist, so his plan might not be feasible.

Bhula said he and Quizon would be the best choice to lead the association because they both have plenty of experience.

“We’re taking that experience of what worked and what didn’t work, and we’re trying to move forward from here,” Bhula said. “Having ourselves run the organization will be more beneficial because there won’t be a turnover.”

Dakota Williams, who currently is Bhula’s senior vice president, said he has not been pleased with the association’s lobbying efforts and its representation at the Board of Governors’ meetings.

“Since Greg (Doucette), it has just gone downhill,” he said. “We struggled this year in a lot of ways, and I think it may be time for a change in leadership.”

Contact the State & National Editor at state@dailytarheel.com.