FBI affidavit reveals facts in UNC freshman sexual exploitation of children case

The FBI claims a UNC freshman solicited images from young boys.

Photo: FBI affidavit reveals facts in UNC freshman sexual exploitation of children case

Corey Gallisdorfer was arrested by the FBI for sexual exploitation of children, and is being held at the Durham County jail.

An affidavit filed by the FBI in the case of a UNC freshman reveals a trail of pornographic solicitation, deception and threats that could result in prison time.

Corey Gallisdorfer, arrested May 3 in Granville Towers on the charge of sexual exploitation of children, could face between 15 and 30 years in prison if convicted, according to Title 18, United States Code, Section 2251(a).

According to the affidavit for criminal complaint filed by FBI Special Agent Roderick Coffin, Gallisdorfer, 19, posed as a 14-year-old girl online to solicit pornographic images from 12- to 14-year-old boys at several Atlanta-area schools.

Gallisdorfer, who is being held at the Durham County jail, used a myriad of different email addresses and online screen names to hide his identity, according to the affidavit. They included swimmerchick3941@gmail.com, swimrun9111@aim.com and boyboyboy11.

Gallisdorfer used an image of a teenage girl he claimed was himself.

The affidavit said Gallisdorfer, after receiving images from the boys, posted them on the Russian Web site imgsrc.ru, a file sharing site where users can post pictures for others to view and comment on.

Gallisdorfer had posted 25 images, some non-pornographic, of at least two boys and advertised them as “boys I have to trade,” the affidavit stated.

Once Gallisdorfer obtained the images from the boys, he threatened to send their friends the images unless they sent him more, the affidavit states.

The University was contacted with a subpoena April 24 for records pertaining to the user of the IP address associated with the username swimmerchick3941, according to the affidavit. The University associated Gallisdorfer with the account.

On May 2, federal agents obtained a search warrant for Gallisdorfer’s room in Granville Towers, where they found his laptop.

On the laptop, agents found videos in which Gallisdorfer was “repeatedly directing (a) boy to expose his genitals on the webcam (which the boy did),” the affidavit stated.

His roommate told the FBI that Gallisdorfer spent 80 to 90 percent of his time on his computer.

Jeffrey Welty, a UNC law professor, said one way to lower a prison sentence would be to provide the government with substantial assistance, or to help solve other crimes.

David Freedman, Gallisdorfer’s attorney, said Gallisdorfer has a bond hearing on Friday but the federal judge is not required to grant him bond.

Gallisdorfer is from Lewisville and a member of the Delta Kappa Epsilon fraternity.

Freedman said Gallisdorfer’s family was shocked by the charges.

“Corey’s always been a stellar student,” he said.

Freedman declined to comment on Gallisdorfer’s reaction to the charges. He said it is important to note that Gallisdorfer has not been convicted.

Dean of Students Jonathan Sauls said the student attorney general and administrators will wait for further court developments to determine the necessity of punishment from the University.

Contact the University Editor at university@dailytarheel.com.