Officials blame printing delays on first days of class

Helen Woolard/DTH
On the first day of classes, many students wait in line that stretched around the ITS computer lab in the Undergraduate Library to print handouts. There was a fifteen minute minimum delay for students that tried to print from their personal computers through wireless. While printing has gone up from five cents to ten, two printers were also eliminated from this lab leaving students with a sense of demotion.

Students overwhelmed with new classes during the first two days of the fall semester met an additional and unwelcome inconvenience at campus printers this week.

In the lab of the Undergraduate Library, the line to use the Carolina Computing Initiative printers was much longer than usual, prompting angry reactions from students.

CCI normally experiences delays during the first days of classes as students hurry to print course documents.

“Because of the high volume, it just seems to be one of the things that we face throughout the first couple of days of the semester,” said Jeremiah Joyner, manager of Information Technology Services labs and systems.

Some of the confusion has also resulted from the move of two printers from the basement of the Undergraduate Library to the ground floor, Joyner said.

Crowds should die down in the coming weeks, Joyner said. But students have been complaining about the long lines and delays in the system.

Sophomore Chandler Gurley said she has seen lines wrapped around the desks in the library.

“I’m not waiting 30 minutes to print out a syllabus I could print in my dorm,” she said.

Other printing locations on campus, such as the Student Union, are experiencing similar issues, students said.

“There’s a five-minute delay time between when you hit print and when it shows up,” said senior Danielle Bringard. She waited in line twice to print an invoice, she said.

Joyner said delays in the system have been reported from students, but that it is not a widespread issue.

Many students are looking for alternate solutions to CCI printing.

“My roommate went to get a router and set up a wireless printer connection so that she didn’t have to deal with it anymore,” junior Chelsea Parker said.

After the first week in each semester, students typically begin to stagger the times they choose to print, Joyner said.

In the meantime, library officials have encouraged students to use the printers in Davis Library to help dissipate the long lines.

Contact the University Editor
at university@dailytarheel.com