UNC men’s soccer welcomes back forward Billy Schuler in UNC-W opener

Even Hurricane Irene’s torrential rain and gale-force winds couldn’t keep Billy Schuler away from the field any longer.

Almost one year after his season-ending shoulder injury during a game against Seton Hall University in 2010, the redshirt junior returned to competition at Fetzer Field on Saturday for the North Carolina men’s soccer team’s match against UNC-Wilmington.

“It’s been a long time coming,” Schuler said after Saturday’s game. “Long story short — I’m back playing competitively again.”

Against the Seahawks, Schuler was back to his old ways, scoring in the 61st minute on a give-and-go from Rob Lovejoy and putting the Tar Heels up 2-0.

“I had to finish it,” Schuler said. “I couldn’t miss that shot.”

Schuler, an All-ACC forward, led the Tar Heels with a team-high nine goals during his sophomore season and ranked first in the ACC in game-winning goals.

North Carolina beat UNC-W 3-1 in the Tar Heels’ regular-season opener, and Schuler said he was proud of his return performance.

“He works so hard,” coach Carlos Somoano said. “He’s just tireless. He’s constantly putting the defense under pressure. To have someone who’s relentless like that can only make us better. It helps his teammates, too. He opens up space for other people.”

Schuler has been getting back in the swing of things by playing spring ball and working hard in the summer preseason, but he said it feels good to be completely part of the team again.

And though he’s happy to be back, Schuler noticed that playing competitively takes a much bigger toll on him than his offseason preparations.

“It’s my first competitive game in a while,” Schuler said. “You don’t realize how much more energy it takes out of you than a summer game or spring game. My legs were kind of tired at the end, but as the season goes on, I think I’ll be able to get all my fitness back.”

Fellow starter Enzo Martinez said he is extremely grateful to have Schuler back on the field for the Tar Heels this season, especially with the Nike Classic looming. The Classic will pit UNC against Louisville, which beat the Tar Heels in the 2010 College Cup semifinals.

“Having a player like Billy is amazing,” Martinez said. “He scores every game. It’s what we were missing last year. It’s what we needed.”

Contact the Sports Editor

at sports@dailytarheel.com.