ACC's new additions to have big impacts

7526_conferenceexpansion_0929_gf.jpg

Amid instability in collegiate athletics, ACC commissioner John Swofford took the first steps toward a more secure future by adding the University of Pittsburgh and Syracuse University as member institutions ­— and in the process, opened the door for improved athletic and financial success.

A changing environment

Pittsburgh and Syracuse’s planned departure from the Big East is just one storyline of conference expansion news swirling in recent days, as schools all across the map have been exploring the possibility of making a switch.

“In all my years of college athletics administration, I’ve never seen this level of uncertainty and potential fluidity among schools and conferences,” Swofford said. “Schools are looking for stability.”

But the ACC has taken measures to ensure its members don’t look for that stability elsewhere. Recently, conference officials increased the ACC’s exit fee to 125 percent of the year’s overall budget — which today, Swofford said, would equal $20 million.

For now, it doesn’t appear that the current ACC members are going anywhere. Instead, each of the 12 institutions will prepare for the addition of two new competitors and the changes that could come along with that.

Tougher for the Tar Heels

North Carolina athletic director Dick Baddour — who was part of the ACC committee that discussed the possibility for expansion — said the addition of Pittsburgh and Syracuse will affect UNC as far as athletic and travel budgets are concerned, but one of the biggest changes could come in the form of increased competition.

Both Pittsburgh and Syracuse have national championships in men’s basketball. Syracuse has played in three NCAA tournament title games, and Pittsburgh has made five Sweet 16 appearances since 2002.

Pitt claims nine national titles in football — four more than any other current ACC school. With 10 NCAA championships in men’s lacrosse, Syracuse owns more titles than any other Division I program.

And while having the Orange in the ACC might be a challenge for his team down the road, UNC men’s lacrosse coach Joe Breschi couldn’t be more excited for the added competition.

“I’m thrilled beyond belief, and it’s really going to help us,” Breschi said. “The conference is already strong, and then you add one of the great traditional powers of all time in men’s lacrosse to our league. It’s almost like a superconference.”

Dollars and cents

When Swofford announced Sept. 18 that Syracuse and Pittsburgh would become the 13th and 14th members of the ACC, he said in a teleconference the increase in members would allow the ACC to renegotiate its TV contract with ESPN.

“Based on what you know about the television world, you wouldn’t make such a move if you thought it’d have a negative impact,” Baddour said. “The informed assumption is that yes, it will be a positive from the financial side.”

In the teleconference Pitt athletic director Steve Pederson acknowledged that many factors went into the University officials’ decision to make the switch, but the potential for financial benefits didn’t escape them.

ACC

“We didn’t make this move for one reason. We made this move for a lot of reasons. But certainly there will be financial benefits that come along with that.”

But leaving the Big East could also come at a hefty price for both schools.

The New York Times reported that Big East Commissioner John Marinatto plans to enforce the policy of a 27-month withdrawal notice — which would require Pitt sburgh and Syracuse to remain in the Big East until 2014. In addition, the teams could be required to pay a $5 million exit fee.

Contact the Sports Editor at sports@dailytarheel.com.