ITS considers new fee to help fund UNC network

The right to check Facebook on campus could soon start to cost students money.

Budget cuts are forcing Information Technology Services to look for different ways to fund the UNC network, which in previous years has been funded entirely by the University.

Larry Conrad, vice chancellor for information technology, said using the network for educational purposes should be covered by the University, but students should pay to access sites for personal use.

“We’re moving toward an environment where people pay specifically for the network,” Conrad said. “Students have not been paying anything for the campus network, and so it was really imperative to have students participate in the cost.”

Conrad said the implementation of a new student fee is possible, though he doesn’t know exactly how large it would be.

“The ballpark number is that students would be responsible for half or a third of network cost, and the administration would be responsible for the other portion,” Conrad said.

Student Body President Mary Cooper said student government has been involved in the discussions with ITS about network costs and is working to minimize the impact on students.

“We’re really looking to protect the students and make sure that we all have access to the network” Cooper said.

Conrad said the wireless network students access on campus was previously funded through campus telephone fees.

But the popularity of cellphones made campus landline use obsolete, which encouraged officials to remove the telephones from residence halls three years ago, Conrad said. The fee was absorbed by a general maintenance fee.

Asking students to pay for their Internet usage has become a serious option for filling the gap, Conrad said.

Several students said they were wary of the prospect of more fees.

“Not everyone here can afford to spend extra on something that we should have at our disposal,” freshman Sarah Brown said.

Sophomore Ryan Brady said the change would adversely affect students who live off campus.

“I’m already paying for Internet off campus, so I’d be upset if I had to pay for Internet again here,” said.

He added he only uses the on-campus network in between classes to check Blackboard and would not want to pay extra for only that.

Other students said it’s difficult to distinguish between what’s academic work and what’s personal.

“You can learn a lot from personal research as much as from academic research,” senior Laura Melosh said.

UNC Libraries will also bear a portion of the network costs, and eliminating two campus computer labs could go toward network costs also, Conrad said.

Once finalized, network fees would be implemented beginning July 1, 2012.

Contact the University Editor at university@dailytarheel.com.