NCAA back in Chapel Hill

The NCAA was back in Chapel Hill on Wednesday conducting follow up work related to the investigation into the North Carolina football team, UNC spokesman Kevin Best said.

The specific reason for the NCAA’s return was not specified in the University’s statement. Best directed questions to NCAA spokeswoman Stacey Osburn, who said the NCAA cannot comment on an inquiry in order to protect the integrity of the investigation.

WCHL reported that a source said the NCAA’s return is related to the University’s recent hiring of an NFL agent, Carl Carey, Jr., who is teaching a class called Foundations of Black Education.

Carey was hired by UNC professor Julius Nyang’oro, who recently resigned as the chairman of the Department of African and Afro-American Studies.

Nyang’oro was the professor of the Swahili class for which former UNC defensive end Michael McAdoo turned in a paper that appeared to be largely plagiarized.

UNC’s response to the NCAA’s notice of allegations — which was sent June 21 after a year-long investigation — is due Monday. The notice outlined nine major infractions allegedly committed by UNC student athletes and those involved with the UNC football program.

In the notice of allegations, the NCAA requested the presence of Chancellor Holden Thorp, athletic director Dick Baddour and former head football coach Butch Davis at a hearing by the Committee on Infractions.

Thorp said at a press conference following Davis’ dismissal in July that he wasn’t sure whether Davis would attend the hearing scheduled for Oct. 28.

Contact the Sports Editor at sports@dailytarheel.com.