Alert Carolina gives "all clear" message after tornado warning

Students who were in or near the Frank Porter Graham Student Union retreated to the Union’s ground floor upon the issuing of a tornado warning in Orange County.

Alert Carolina sirens warned students of a tornado sighting and instructed them to take cover a second time Tuesday, but an all-clear message about 30 minutes later said once again to resume normal activities.

Alert Carolina sirens sounded for the first time around 11:30 a.m., with an all-clear message coming shortly before noon. The National Weather Service rescinded the tornado warning for Orange County, Department of Public Safety spokesman Randy Young said.

Earlier in the morning, an Alert Carolina message had students taking cover.

“Orange County in tornado warning,” a text message from Alert Carolina said.

“Seek shelter now; avoid windows. Stay inside until further notice,” the message continued.

Young said there was a tornado sighting in Moncure in Chatham county.

“The Alert Carolina sirens were set off because it met the criteria for a level one siren alert being that a tornado warning has been issued for Orange County,” Young said.

“That means that a strike or tornado is on the ground with a potential or proposed position that would take it through Orange County,” he said.

Some students’ classes were interrupted so students could find shelter, according to staff reports.

This was the first time Alert Carolina sirens were issued for a threat on campus, Young said.