UNC men’s soccer shuts down Wake Forest

WINSTON-SALEM — North Carolina men’s soccer coach Carlos Somoano watched with his usual stone-faced gaze as his defense stonewalled the Demon Deacons one last time to seal the win Friday night.

Trailing the Tar Heels by a goal with four seconds left in the game, Wake Forest earned a corner kick and one last chance to tie the score.

Even with its goalie Michael Lisch pulled up for the desperation play, Wake Forest came up empty again, and the Tar Heels beat the Demon Deacons 1-0 for their first ACC win of the year.

“I think that’s the most important time not to be emotional,” Somoano said. “That the most important time to just say ‘Look, we’re fine. We can deal with this.’ One second left, 10 seconds left, 10 minutes left — we’re fine. We’re well prepared to deal with this.”

North Carolina took the lead early in the second half after a tightly contested scoreless first period. In typical ACC fashion, the match was physical and entertaining to the crowd of more than 4,000 at Spry Stadium.

But the game-winning goal was anticlimactic.

In the 58th minute, senior Kirk Urso fired a corner kick into the box where the ball was batted around a handful of times before it found the side netting. Jordan Gafa was credited with the goal after the game, but at the time Rob Lovejoy was tabbed as the scorer.

Lovejoy was quick to defer to Urso.

“Yeah, I’m going to give that one to Kirk,” Lovejoy said. “It was just good execution on the cross in because we practice that every week. He made a great cross, and there was just a lot of confusion in the box, and it just happened to go in.”

It didn’t matter to Somoano who received credit for the goal. He said he was just pleased with the execution.

“It was just a good play, people getting to their spots,” Somoano said. “I think when that happens in games, the bounces start to go your way.”

On the other end of the field, the Demon Deacons had their best looks at goal from free kicks and corners.

In addition to Wake’s five corner kicks, UNC committed 14 fouls, so the Demon Deacons had plenty of opportunities to orchestrate set pieces.

“They’re a handful,” Somoano said of Wake Forest’s set pieces. “They’ve got a lot of big guys, very aggressive. They’re just good in general.”

Time after time, UNC goalie Scott Goodwin came up with strong punching clearances or clutch catches to keep Wake Forest off the board. With just less than five minutes to play in the game, Goodwin stepped off his line to leap over a group of Demon Deacons and punch a cross away to safety.

To both Goodwin and Somoano, the shutout — UNC’s first this season — was a result of more than just the work on the goal line.

“They’ve come in and listened, and they have really adapted, and they are winning the older guys’ trust.”

Contact the Sports Editor