Tar Heels face competition in tough volleyball tournament

Just as it did in last weekend’s tournament, North Carolina’s volleyball team took second place overall in the Tar Heel Classic, conceding a Friday night contest and winning both Saturday matches.

The team’s only defeat — a close loss in four sets — came at the hands of Tulsa, the tournament’s victor. Tulsa, which began the season ranked No. 23 in the nation, eventually pulled away from UNC for the 3-1 win.

All-American outside hitter Tyler Henderson recorded 20 kills against the Tar Heels, but coach Joe Sagula said he doesn’t believe her play was the only nail in the Tar Heels’ coffin.

“We did a pretty good job of containing (Henderson),” he said. “Typically she’ll have 25 or 30 kills in a match, but Chaniel (Nelson) did a good job blocking against her. We just didn’t do the right things at the end of the game. Unforced errors — that’s what it came down to.”

On Saturday, however, the Tar Heels appeared to be more composed, putting up dominating performances against Miami (Ohio) and St. Louis University, both of which UNC defeated in straight sets.

Redshirt freshman Nelson’s performance especially bolstered the Tar Heels on Saturday. Nelson, who also earned all-tournament accolades, finished the noon match against Miami with 16 kills and just two errors.

“We really dominated the first two games,” Sagula said. “We kept setting to Chaniel, and she was unstoppable. We just knew that we could do that, that their left-side blockers were weaker and that she could go off on them, and that’s exactly what she did.”

St. Louis provided somewhat stiffer competition in the Saturday night match. After St. Louis finally conceded a nerve-wracking first set, 29-27, it seemed in the second as though the Tar Heels would have to repeat the experience.

Once ahead 12-5 in the second set, UNC allowed its opponent to battle back and tie the score at 16. The Tar Heels eventually pulled away for the 25-21 victory.

“A lot of times at the end of a game when it’s really close, in a battle, whatever team is on top has a chance to become complacent or to really break away,” said junior outside hitter Emily McGee. “We took our confidence that we could beat them as our advantage.”

That confidence led to a 25-12 drubbing of the Billikens in the third set and will be critical as UNC prepares to take on Maryland next weekend in its conference opener.

“I’m glad we were able to not only win the game, but to do it in a convincing manner,” Sagula said. “To be 8-3 after playing a tough non-conference schedule, we’re in good shape. We’d like to have done a little better, but we’ll take this, and focus on the next match.”

Contact the Sports Editor

at sports@dailytarheel.com.