As a two-term member of Student Congress, I have always supported
the body for its ability to provide all UNC students with an enriched experience. Students from smaller universities marvel at our ability to support numerous groups, a tradition that should be protected and should always be kept ethical.

However, this tradition was grossly violated Tuesday in an unprecedented way, as personal politics influenced the votes of numerous representatives.

Requesting $20,768 to bring pundit and author Ann Coulter on Sept. 20, the College Republicans were appropriated $5,000, and loaned $15,000 to be repaid to Student Congress.

Members of the Young Democrats serving in Congress made the blindly partisan motion to make the College Republicans return $15,000. This is an unprecedented move that severely damages the reputation of this University.

While in Congress, I have supported the Young Democrats in their efforts to host events. As chairman of the College Republicans, I understand the grave necessity of being involved politically, as members of both organizations have a shared interest in shaping our future by being politically active.

This is why I voted in favor of allocating just under $16,000 to the Young Democrats, none of which has to be paid back, and would never put them in the position of having to raise $15,000.

If we pride ourselves on being a university that supports equality and the free marketplace of ideas, then we must ensure that people of all viewpoints are given equal representation, not allowing personal biases to persuade our votes as elected representatives.

Greg Steele
Junior, Political Science
Chairman, UNC College Republicans