Good team play leads to win Friday for men’s soccer

The No. 2 North Carolina men’s soccer team witnessed a couple of familiar faces notching goals during UNC’s 4-2 win against College of Charleston on Friday.

But in addition to the tried and true Tar Heel scorers, there were some new ones, too.
After an early Charleston goal, senior Butler transfer Matt Hedges headed in a corner kick from Ben Speas to give UNC the equalizer.

The goal was not the first for Hedges, who led the Bulldogs in game-winners last year, but it was only his second of the season in Carolina Blue.

“I think it was just some good team play, some good combinations that got some guys (involved) who don’t normally get involved,” Hedges said. “But when they do they can finish goals.”

Junior midfielder Martin Murphy entered the game during the first half and corralled a drop pass from Jordan Gafa, which he launched into the goal from 22 yards out. The goal was Murphy’s first of the season and put North Carolina ahead 2-1.

“I think (the variety) has been coming,” Billy Schuler said.

UNC scored four goals against the Cougars ­— enough to tie its second-highest goal total of the season. But the scoring didn’t end there for the Tar Heels.

Familiar go-to scorers Schuler and Enzo Martinez were the next to tally, marking their 10th and seventh goals of the season, respectively.

Coach Carlos Somoano said the variety of players who had the opportunity to score was due to well-executed and disciplined play.

“I think the goals that we scored were all pretty good quality,” Somoano said. “I think that’s a result of the team sharing the ball and playing in an attacking rhythm.

“So when we get the ball moving and we’re sharing the ball and circulating the ball the way we want to, it opens up things for every player to score.”