Strong defense and goalkeeping key to UNC’s success

The North Carolina field hockey team continued to stake its claim as the nation’s best defensive squad with two shutouts against Wake Forest and Radford on Friday and Sunday.

The No. 2 Tar Heels (11-1, 2-0) defeated ACC foe Wake Forest 1-0 Friday, holding the Demon Deacons to two shots, and defeated Radford 7-0 Sunday. Radford took four shots against UNC.

The Tar Heels have split time between sophomore Caitlin Powers and freshman Sassi Ammer in goal through the first 12 games, but coach Karen Shelton said she has given Ammer the slight edge lately. Ammer played the entire Wake Forest match, while the two goalies each played one half against Radford.

Though playing two goalies seems unorthodox, it’s hard to argue with the results.

North Carolina is the NCAA Division I leader in goals allowed per game, allowing only seven goals through the first 12 games for an average of .58.

A key factor in UNC’s success in keeping opponents off the board has been its ability to limit shots. Opponents average 3.9 shots per game against the Tar Heels, while UNC takes, on average, 20.3 shots.

“We’re trying to break down the play as it’s coming down the field,” Powers said. “(We’re) just not letting them get in the circle, and then also making sure we’re not letting them draw any corners off of us.”

The Tar Heels have also limited the amount of corners forfeited to their opponent, attempting 111 corners to their opponents’ 34.

Both Powers and Ammer said that the competition is a friendly one, driving them to work harder in practice.

With two ACC wins under their belts against Wake Forest and No. 9 Duke, the inexperienced goalkeeping tandem is gaining confidence, but there are tougher tests ahead against No.8 Boston College, No. 3 Maryland and a rematch against top-ranked Old Dominion.

Senior captain Elizabeth Stephens, who assumed the captain post in the absence of senior Katelyn Falgowski, has the utmost confidence in her goalkeepers as the season progresses.

“I think that Sassi and Powers both really thrive in those situations,” Stephens said. “They do the best in those situations when they know they have to stop the ball, they are the last line of defense.”

The Tar Heels’ stingy defense has helped keep the pressure off of its goalkeepers, but Powers said this also limits the amount of shots the goalies see in game situations.

“You always have to make sure you’re mentally in the game,” Powers said. “In some of the big games when you only get that one shot you just have to make sure you’re ready.”

Shelton acknowledged the lack of shots the goalies see during games, but said that they see enough shots in practice to prepare them going forward.

Though the lack of shots requires mental discipline of Ammer and Powers, Shelton knows her goalies do not mind playing behind the nation’s top defense.

“Our keepers, like most, don’t mind if they’re … the loneliest (people) in town,” Shelton said. “They’ll be ready when we need them.”

Contact the Sports Editor

at sports@dailytarheel.com.