Tar Heel offense impresses in Greenville with 35-20 win

GREENVILLE — After coming out of the locker room at halftime trailing North Carolina 28-3 on Saturday, East Carolina strung together two quick drives in the third quarter to score 10 straight points and make the rivalry match a two-possession game.

But with just one hand, senior wide receiver Dwight Jones sunk the Pirates’ hopes for a comeback.

To cap off an eight-and-a-half-minute drive that would all but seal a UNC victory, redshirt sophomore Bryn Renner connected with Jones, who made a dazzling one-handed grab for a touchdown on third and goal.

The Tar Heels walked out of Dowdy-Ficklen Stadium with a commanding 35-20 win. But after witnessing Jones’ standout performance against the Pirates, junior wide receiver Erik Highsmith also left with a reminder of just how outstanding of a role model he has in his teammate.

“I mean, it’s Dwight. He’s a playmaker,” said Highsmith, who had a 75-yard touchdown in the first quarter. “I look up to him every day, whether he knows it or not. He’s a good guy. He’s a good player. He’s a freakish athlete.”

Renner — who completed 13 of 20 passes for 230 yards — connected with Jones six times on Saturday, including a 47-yard touchdown pass in the first half that gave UNC its 25-point lead going into halftime.

Both teams excelled through the air, and senior quarterback Dominique Davis led East Carolina’s spread offense with a school-record 417 yards. But especially in the first half, the North Carolina offense was two-dimensional.

Against the Pirates, UNC rushed for 226 yards, 146 of which came from redshirt freshman Giovani Bernard.

Bernard, who has rushed for 548 yards and seven touchdowns this season, became the first Tar Heel tailback since 1992 to rush for 100 yards or more in three straight games.

After a strong offensive performance in the first half, interim head coach Everett Withers advised his team at halftime to put the nail in ECU’s coffin quickly.

“And we were able to do that for the most part, but we didn’t do that as well later in the game as we needed to.”

Though Jones — who racked up 93 yards against the Pirates — shined in Saturday’s game, the victory was fueled by many different Tar Heels.

Four UNC players had at least three carries against the Pirates, and Renner completed passes to six different Tar Heels — including tight end Nelson Hurst, who had a career-long 24-yard reception.

Withers was pleased at how well the ball was spread around Saturday and with the number of Tar Heels who were able to have a role in the victory.

And while a multitude of boys in blue saw the field at Dowdy-Ficklen Stadium, one in particular stood out to Withers.

Renner’s four touchdown passes were the most for a UNC quarterback since Darian Durant had four against Syracuse in 2003, and for the first time this season, Renner finished the game without a turnover.

“I thought Bryn was sharp tonight,” Withers said. “When there were chances for him to try to make something happen, he threw it away. That shows growth in a guy.”

Contact the Sports Editor
at sports@dailytarheel.com.