UNC wins two to remain undefeated in ACC play

7662_1006_fieldhockey_williamsf.jpg
Field Hockey v. Appalachian State

With a 2-0 win against No. 9 Boston College on Saturday and a 12-0 rout of Appalachian State on Saturday, the North Carolina field hockey team earned its sixth straight shutout of the season.

But offensively, the Tar Heels shone just as bright.

UNC ACC

The Tar Heels turned in two impressive performances in their weekend wins, and unfortunately for opposing teams, UNC coach Karen Shelton said her squad is now starting to play at its best in all aspects of its game.

No. 2 UNC downed the Eagles 2-0 Saturday in a physical, feisty game to improve to 3-0 in ACC play.

Boston College started well with four penalty corners in the first half.

“I think in the beginning we started off a little slow,” junior Caitlin Van Sickle said. “We weren’t expecting their forwards to be as fast as they were.”

Van Sickle said the team regrouped at halftime and focused on marking tighter and limiting the number of Boston College shots in the second half. The defensive game plan paid dividends as the Eagles only managed to get off two shots in the second half.

Offensively, the Tar Heels struck first in the 28th minute when Kelsey Kolojejchick took a pass from Sophie Rudolph and scooped the ball over the oncoming goalkeeper and into the net.

“It was bouncing a little, so I just felt like since it was in the air already …I might as well just keep going for it,” Kolojejchick said of the lofted shot. “That kind of thing just happens. It felt like it was the proper shot to take.”

Boston College continued to employ a physical style of play in the second half, and several players were whistled for fouls as the game got heated.

“I think both teams felt some frustration, but we held it in check,” Shelton said.

Sophomore Marta Malmberg scored a penalty stroke in the 55th minute, the first penalty stroke all season for UNC, to give the Tar Heels a two-goal lead that they would not relinquish.

UNC parlayed its Saturday success with a thrashing of Appalachian State on Sunday. It was the first double-digit goal total tallied by North Carolina since 2008 and eight different Tar Heels got on the score sheet.

Jacyln Gaudioso Radvany, who scored twice Sunday, said UNC relishes the opportunity to play non-conference games.

“It gives us a chance to be creative and work on things we really need to work on,” Gaudioso Radvany said.

One of the new things UNC worked on was Van Sickle and Gaudioso Radvany linking up on penalty corners. Twice against Appalachian State, Van Sickle assisted Gaudioso Radvany on penalty corner goals. Van Sickle said they just started practicing it last week but are pleased with the results.

And as a huge matchup against ACC leader Maryland looms, Van Sickle said the team is right where it needs to be.

“We definitely made a step this weekend,” Van Sickle said. “This was our best weekend by far.”

Contact the Sports Editor