The history of homemade beer in NC will be up for tasting Saturday

Call them beer snobs and they’ll likely agree — craft beer and homebrew enthusiasts are known for their discriminating palettes and particular distaste for corporate brews.

For Janel Beckham, homebrew and wine-making specialist at Fifth Season Gardening Company, the increasing popularity of such critical taste represents the rise of local beer.

“More and more people seem to be getting into craft beer or homebrewing, and less and less people seem to be just settling for a Bud Light,” Beckham said.

Beckham mixes work with pleasure and research. As a communications and cultural studies doctoral candidate at UNC, Beckham is studying the changes in cultural valuation of beer in the last 100 years.

She’s found that attitudes about beer can be emblematic of larger cultural movements. During the age of prohibition, the beverage was a racialized social ill, while just a few years later, drinking beer was an activity thousands used to lift military and civilian morale during World War II.

Beckham says in her nearly completed dissertation, “The Value of a Pint: A Cultural Economy of American Beer,” contemporary homebrewing has become a movement that, in part, advocates sustainable practices of producing, distributing and consuming beer.

“For a really long time in U.S. history, beer culture was really dominated by three companies who produced essentially the same style of beer,” Beckham said. “You had Miller, Coors and Anheuser-Busch who were producing this light American lager, that, you know, isn’t terribly good.

“I think when people finally started to realize that they could get out of the shadow of this terrible cooperate beer and create products for themselves that are highly personalized, exactly what they want and really great quality, something exciting started.”

Beckham organized Homebrew for Hunger as a charitable celebration of the variety of local homemade beers.

On Saturday, Fifth Season Gardening Company will host a showcase of the Triangle’s beer community that highlights the growing trend with educational workshops, more than 30 homebrews up for tasting and panel discussions hosted by local craft breweries. Proceeds from the $20 tickets benefit The Food Bank of Eastern and Central North Carolina.

Homebrewing in North Carolina hasn’t always been as straightforward as it is today.

“Up until 2006, the state law restricted gravity or alcohol content of beer to (six) percent,” Beckham said. “For folks that drink corporate beer, that doesn’t matter to you, but if you actually like decent beer, that gets rid of like 80 percent of the craft beer market.”

Before Gov. Mike Easley signed a bill in 2005 to allow the sale of beer with up to 15 percent alcohol-by-volume, if you wanted more alcoholic beers like imperial stouts, you either had to make them yourself illegally or find another state.

Sean Lilly Wilson started Pop The Cap in 2003 as a campaign to end North Carolina’s alcohol content limits.

“Eight years ago, I had a craft beer epiphany when a friend of mine invited me over to a party to get me to try these beers that were, as it turns out, illegal to brew and sell in North Carolina,” Wilson said.

“I just thought that was a silly law and I wanted to do something about it. I had some free time on my hands — I wasn’t fully employed — so I ended up leading the Pop The Cap effort for two and a half years.”

Wilson’s time spent rallying support from area homebrewers led him to start Fullsteam Brewery in Durham. He cofounded the brewery with friend and homebrewer Chris Davis, who will be speaking about his experience as an amateur beer maker gone pro at Saturday’s panel discussion.

Davis said the old laws meant that many people turned to making their own beer and contributed to the flavor of North Carolina’s homebrews.

“It made them brew bigger and stronger beers that they weren’t able to purchase, really,” Davis said. “That’s some of the impact the law had before the change, and then after the change, well, they continued brewing the same way.”

It’s like prohibition, Davis said.

“Just without the gangsters.”

Contact the Diversions editor at diversions@dailytarheel.com.