The Flying Pierogi soft-opens storefront in Carrboro's South Green

Hogan-04152024-city-flying-pierogi-opening
Local food truck in Chapel’ Hill and Carrboro, ‘The Flying Pierogi’ has opened up a storefront in the South Green shopping center in Carrboro. Owner Jaysen Wilson, 39, poses inside the restaurant.

The Flying Pierogi Delicatessen recently opened a storefront in the South Green shopping center in Carrboro, filling the former Coronato’s Pizza location.

The restaurant previously solely operated out of a food truck that traveled throughout the Chapel Hill-Carrboro area serving its European-inspired cuisine.

Jaysen Wilson, the co-owner of The Flying Pierogi, said the main reason for the transition into a brick-and-mortar restaurant space was the need for a commercial kitchen for the food truck to operate out of. The business, though, is looking forward to exploring other aspects of the new space, like the ability to offer beer and sell snacks from a deli case.

Wilson said he and his wife started the food truck in 2018 because they wanted to bring different cuisine to the area. 

“We were trying to figure out what can we bring to Chapel Hill that is of the Polish and German and New York/Chicago cuisine,” he said. “And we landed on pierogies.”

Gary Hill, a senior associate at Avison Young — which manages the South Green shopping center space — said the building The Flying Pierogi is moving into is a great space for restaurants and other businesses because it is easily accessible from a variety of Carrboro neighborhoods.

He said the center’s location provides a great opportunity for attracting new customers because it sits off of Greensboro Street, which he said has almost 17,000 cars traveling on it every day.

“We’ve been looking for this type of use (for the building) for a couple of years and Jaysen has a great plan,” Hill said.

Wilson said one of the best things about the new space was its full parking lot so customers can find parking easier than they might if they visit a business in downtown Chapel Hill or Carrboro.

Alexis Besosa, a concierge at Carrboro Yoga Company — located directly beside The Flying Pierogi’s new storefront — said the businesses within the shopping center typically share some of the same clients and customers.

“I think for sure we will continue to, as we have in the past, support the businesses around us and hope that it's mutually beneficial,” Besosa said.

She said clients who take classes at Carrboro Yoga Company will often stop by other businesses within the shopping center to grab a snack or drink before or after their yoga class and that this trend will likely continue with The Flying Pierogi.

While The Flying Pierogi has not had its official grand opening yet, Carrboro Yoga Company clients and the surrounding community can visit the storefront and order from their soft-open food menu, which currently includes pierogies with a variety of fillings, Polish kielbasas and hot dogs.

Wilson said, as the business approaches its as-of-yet unscheduled grand opening and is beginning to operate at full capacity, they will continue to create new and innovative dishes for the community to enjoy.

More in Business

More in Food Issue

More in Food & Drink