'Triangle Gaza Solidarity Encampment' continues through fourth day of protesting

202404279-Diehl-Encampment-Monday-Selects-12.JPG

The pro-Palestinian encampment temporarily moves part of the encampment to McCorkle Place from Polk Place on the evening of Monday, April 29, 2024.

As the sun set on the fourth day of the pro-Palestinian "Triangle Gaza Solidarity Encampment," demonstrators continued to demand transparency from the University and divestment from Israeli and Israeli-supporting companies. 

Despite fears and rumors that police would be arresting demonstrators today, no officers have entered the encampment as of 11 p.m. 

On Sunday, protesters re-erected their tents in a violation of University policy. The action, led by the UNC chapter of Students for Justice in Palestine, was carried out with the knowledge that it could escalate tensions between the University and those within the encampment. Previously, UNC Police were seen monitoring Polk Place but did not engage with the individuals in the encampment. 

UNC administration asked protesters to remove the poles from the tents on the first day of the demonstration in order to comply with the Facilities Use Standard. The policy states that "no temporary structures whatsoever shall be erected or placed on lawn space beneath the drip lines of trees."

On Monday morning, other students wrote messages across UNC's campus, including “Hamas = Terrorists” and “Bring them home," referring to Israeli hostages captured by Hamas. Several counter-protesters were seen sporadically through the morning and afternoon.

Adam Goldstein, a physician and faculty member in the UNC School of Medicine, stood on the edge of the encampment in the mid-afternoon, holding a poster with an article from The Times of Israel featuring the names of Arbel Yehud, Dolev Yehud and Ariel Cunio, who were taken hostage by Hamas on Oct 7. 

Goldstein said he felt as a faculty member that he needed to go to the Quad to bring a "message of hope." He continued, saying he came with a message he did not think was being displayed, calling it important and nonviolent.

"Jewish faculty, Jewish students, many of them are scared to be here, they're scared they're going to be accosted," Goldstein said. 

An individual within the encampment flew a Palestinian flag and held a cardboard sign in front of Goldstein.

Around 1:30 p.m., UNC SJP posted an "urgent" call for immediate support on their social media. Additionally, UNC campus tours were told to avoid Polk Place for the afternoon on Monday.

"UNC SJP has heard several credible reports of police mobilization and encampment sweeps THIS AFTERNOON," the caption said. "Parking lots have been reserved for police cars. We need ALL HANDS ON DECK at Polk Place ASAP."

It is unclear if the parking lots were reserved for police or if the lot was closed off for on-campus events occurring Monday evening, such as the Rammy Awards, University Teaching Awards and the senior class' "Last Lecture" featuring former Chancellor Kevin Guskiewicz.

Several additional posts were made on UNC SJP's social media accounts about potential police presence throughout the day. UNC Police has mutual aid agreements that allow it to partner with other departments in the surrounding local areas. This agreement also includes all UNC System police departments, should extra personnel be needed. 

Throughout the day, the encampment was filled with the sound of speeches and chants from the crowd on Polk Place. Demonstrators assembled a makeshift barricade around the encampment, one person climbed the flag pole in the center of the Quad to hang Palestinian and Yemeni flags. As the demonstrators cheered, people beat on drums and hit five gallon water bottles together to the rhythm. 

Around 6 p.m., approximately 100 demonstrators picked up some tents from the encampment and walked from Polk Place to the front of Morehead Planetarium where the annual "Last Lecture" event was being held. 

Once the protesters reached the pavilion, they called out Guskiewicz for not acknowledging their presence and began chanting as they walked closer toward him. After he left the area, demonstrators walked back to the encampment, where they continue to wait for the University to respond to their demands.

This is a developing story, check back here for updates. 

Emmy Martin contributed reporting.

@l_rhodsie

@dailytarheel | university@dailytarheel.com 

Lauren Rhodes

Lauren Rhodes is the 2024 university editor at The Daily Tar Heel. She has previously served as an assistant editor and senior writer for the university desk. Lauren is a sophomore pursuing a double major in media and journalism and political science with a minor in politics, philosophy and economics.