Tar Heels prepared for football clash with Hokies

After North Carolina’s 13-0 loss to North Carolina State, UNC running back Giovani Bernard made news with comments about the Tar Heels’ lack of focus before the game.

But now that the Tar Heels (6-4) have had a week off and are headed to play Virginia Tech, UNC players say that focus is renewed.

“I think it’s better than it’s ever been,” UNC offensive tackle Brennan Williams said. “We’ve had extra time to prepare for the team, and we’ve got their tendencies down, and I think we’re going to be ready.”

They’ll need to be focused playing against No. 7 Virginia Tech (9-1) on national television, not to mention in Lane Stadium, which is one of those places in college football known for making life difficult for the visiting team.

“That’s one of the loudest stadiums you’ll ever get to play at,” Williams said. “I remember my freshman year it was like the ground was shaking. It was crazy.”

And chances are it will be this year as well. Virginia Tech needs to continue winning if it hopes to clinch the ACC Coastal Division, with Virginia giving the Hokies a run for their money.

The Hokies can snag a spot in the ACC Championship with a win against UNC and if Virginia loses either this week or the next when UVa. plays Virginia Tech.

So the Tar Heels are expecting Virginia Tech’s best, which so far has shown to be better than UNC’s best on average.

The Hokies are scoring more points and holding opponents to fewer points than UNC. But the Tar Heels do have the benefit of coming off a bye week.

“I think everyone is running really sharp,” Bernard said. “I think even with that week off, a lot of guys are still hitting the film room really hard, and that’s what we’ve got to do. We’ve got to hit the film room really hard and just stay focused.”

Slowing down the Hokies won’t be easy.

Virginia Tech running back David Wilson leads the ACC in rushing with 136 yards per game and seven touchdowns. Wilson has averaged 21 carries a game and 6.5 yards per carry.

And if UNC stops the run, as it has done well most of the season, Hokie quarterback Logan Thomas can still frustrate a defense. Thomas ranks in the top half of ACC quarterback efficiency.

UNC linebacker Kevin Reddick said the Hokies’ offense reminds him a lot of Clemson’s.

“They’ve got a lot of key players that can score for them at times,” Reddick said. “The main thing for us is just to put a sign on the ball, and we’ll stop them.”

But if nothing else, the bye week allowed the Tar Heels to rest and heal up in time for Thursday’s game.Prior to it, North Carolina had played 10 consecutive games.

Miami and Maryland are the only ACC teams to have played more games in a row, as both had a bye week after their first game of the season.

“I think 10 games straight, that’s tough,” Bernard said. “Not that many teams do that. I don’t even think many NFL teams go 10 games straight. It’s a tough thing.”

Contact the Sports Editor at sports@dailytarheel.com.