Closing arguments begin in Carson murder trial

LOVETTE1-POOL-121911
Orange Co. assistant DA James Rainsford, right, begins closing arguments for the prosecution before the jury Monday, Dec. 1, 2011 in the kidnap, robbery and murder trial of defendant Laurence Alvin Lovette, 21, of Durham. At left are two enlarged prosecution photos, one of UNC student body president Eve Carson, who was murdered on March 5, 2008. Lovette is one of two men charged in Carson's death.

During closing arguments Monday, prosecutors said Eve Carson used her greatest skill — her ability to connect to and talk with people — even in the last moments before she was murdered in 2008.

Carson prayed with her abductors and tried to reason with them. But her attempts were fruitless.

Prosecutors say Laurence Alvin Lovette, along with his Demario “Rio” Atwater, abducted Carson from her Chapel Hill home in the early hours of March 5, took her to at least one ATM to withdraw money, and finally shot her to death in a Chapel Hill neighborhood close to campus.

Lovette is on trial for the murder of Carson, the 2008 UNC student body president, who was found shot to death in an intersection about a mile from campus.

In a crowded Hillsborough courtroom, prosecutors urged jurors to look at evidence and testimonies presented in court in the past eight days that link Lovette to Carson’s violent murder.

Woodall told jurors to ignore questions from the defense regarding the credibility of witnesses, some of whom have criminal records.

He said the witness’ criminal history was likely a reason Lovette chose them to help to dispose the weapons.

“You don’t get the choir boys and good Samaritans to help you throw away murder weapons,” he said. “The key is the information they give line up with the evidence.”

Prosecutors contend that Lovette shot Carson four times with a .25-caliber handgun, and Atwater fired a fifth shot from a sawed-off shotgun to Carson’s right temple.

Medical examiner Cynthia Gardner testified that the first four shots could have been survived with proper medical treatment, but the fifth shot would have been fatal because it destroyed portions of Carson’s brain necessary to sustaining life functions.

Woodall said the law states that because Lovette joined Atwater in Carson’s murder — even though his shots may not have been fatal — he is held accountable for Atwater’s actions under the legal concept of “acting in concert.”

Atwater pleaded guilty to Carson’s murder in 2010 and is serving two life sentences.

Prosecutor James Rainsford said the state has proved beyond a reasonable doubt that Lovette is guilty of first-degree murder.

Rainsford argued that at least five people close to Lovette positively identified him in the ATM surveillance photo from the Bank of America on Willow Drive — including Lovette himself, who recognized the photo on the news and said “oh sh-t”, according to the testimony of Shanita Love.

The defense’s closing arguments are under way.

On Thursday, the defense decided to present no evidence in the case, and Lovette waived his right to testify.

Later today, jurors will receive jury instructions and be asked to reach a verdict.

Lovette is charged with first-degree murder, first-degree kidnapping, felony larceny and armed robbery. He has pleaded not guilty to all charges.

Steven Norton, Chris Harrow and Tarini Parti contributed.