CUAB considers changes after controversial fall semester

8729_0109_travisporter_cuabf.jpg

Travis Porter

The Carolina Union Activities Board’s fall semester featured a few controversial decisions.

This spring, the organization plans to implement some changes, said Cierra Hinton, CUAB’s president.

One change — a proposed student fee that would go toward bringing better-known acts to campus for Homecoming — was brought up last semester in response to the student body’s displeasure at the selection of indie rock band The New Pornographers to headline October’s Homecoming concert.

CUAB sent out a survey in November asking for the student body’s thoughts on the new fee.

“It didn’t get as many responses as I would like,” Hinton said. “I don’t feel comfortable doing the fee without more student opinions.”

Hinton said CUAB would try to get more student input on the fee this semester.

She also said that an application is in the works for a student-at-large to serve on CUAB’s homecoming committee.

“This way, it won’t involve just student government and CUAB and the General Alumni Association,” Hinton said.

In addition to these changes to the organization’s work on the homecoming festivities, Hinton said she hopes to bring back a former UNC tradition — the Great Hall parties.

The party made a comeback in the form of a concert by rap group Travis Porter on the last day of classes.

“I want to try to do one or two more Great Hall parties so it becomes part of the culture and so people are doing more late-night events on campus,” Hinton said.

CUAB began the year with a budget of $364,000, Zoey LeTendre, program adviser to CUAB, said in September. CUAB receives one-third of student organizations fees – about $13 per student per year.

During the fall semester, CUAB spent close to $86,000 of that budget for major events, including the Homecoming concert, Travis Porter’s performance, a performance by rapper Big K.R.I.T. and a lecture by film director Spike Lee.

From ticket sales for these performances, CUAB brought in nearly $21,000. They will begin the spring semester with a leftover budget of close to $299,000.

CUAB’s first major event of the semester will be a sold-out show in Memorial Hall by Jeff Mangum, frontman for indie rock band Neutral Milk Hotel.

Contact the Arts Editor

at arts@dailytarheel.com.