No. 3 UNC grabs 83-60 victory against Boston College

Tar Heels open ACC-play with a win

UNC guard Dexter Strickland drives to the hoop during the game against Boston College on Saturday. The Tar Heels defeated Boston College 83-60.

Harrison Barnes scored 25 points and Tyler Zeller added 20 to help lead No. 3 North Carolina to an 83-60 win against Boston College in UNC’s ACC opener.

Boston College entered the game with a 5-9 record and few outside expectations that the freshman-laden roster would do much in the ACC, let alone against UNC.

The margin of victory doesn’t give the Eagles much credit, but North Carolina did.

“I was really impressed with Steve’s club,” UNC coach Roy Williams said. “I don’t think they ever got shook.”

In fact, the Eagles trailed North Carolina by nine points with about as many minutes remaining before the Tar Heels finished the game on a 24-10 run.

North Carolina’s starting five turned in their usual performances. Kendall Marshall recorded 11 assists in the game and John Henson finished with 14 points, eight rebounds, three assists and three blocks. But probably most impressive was Barnes. The forward made 10 of his 15 shot attempts and had a career-high four steals on defense.

“He has such a purpose to his game now, and he’s much sharper (than last season),” Boston College coach Steve Donahue said. “He has a nice head on his shoulders and has a sense of what it means to win.”

The Tar Heels started ACC play with a win, but thought they could have played better against a team with nine freshmen. They know they’ll have to as conference-play progresses.

“At times we were very good and at times we weren’t,” Zeller said. “We have to improve on those times we weren’t.”