UNC-system President Thomas Ross said he will stand by the tuition increase parameters he set last week despite dissenting opinions from some students and administrators.
Ross, who plans to recommend tuition increase proposals to members of the system’s Board of Governors by the end of the month, reiterated at a press conference Friday that he does not support tuition and fee increases that exceed 10 percent.
Ross’ parameters rule out several tuition increase proposals that have already been submitted to the board.
“I’m certainly open to talking to the folks at any of our institutions,” he said at a press conference on Friday. “But I’ve given it a lot of thought and I feel comfortable with it.”
The state’s biennium budget projects another $9 to $10 million in cuts for next year, and Ross said the looming cut is one of the reasons he’s struggling to come up with a tuition increase recommendation.
The system has already taken a net reduction of $482 million in funding for campuses in the last four years, which has resulted in fewer course sections and larger class sizes for students.
Hannah Gage, chairwoman of the board, said she hopes the 32-member board can find a reasonable compromise on tuition increases, which she hopes will remain low.
“I’m still hopeful that it will be under 9 percent,” Gage said.
“I think (Ross) is still playing with the whole thing and trying to come up with the lowest amount that will meet the basic needs that the campuses have right now.”