At the Grammys, Chris Brown won an award on national television. He also performed not once but twice. It was absolutely despicable.

I am not talking about the quality of the performance or of his album. Hell, I could care less about that. I am talking about the absolutely deplorable person that Chris Brown is.

If you consider yourself a part of “Team Breezy,” please consider this: In February 2009, Chris Brown assaulted Rihanna and sent her to the hospital. Since then, he has served zero jail time and six months of community service. His testimony of what transpired that night is full of contradictions, and at one point, he said he didn’t even remember what happened.

His fans believe he is the victim of that incident. If you doubt me, search Twitter for “Chris Brown Rihanna deserved” and get back to me.

He assaults Rihanna the night before the Grammys in 2009 and three years later he wins a Grammy and performs twice on the awards show.

This incident is telling of the misogyny internalized in our society. Girls tweeted things like “Chris Brown can beat me up any day!” Are you f—king serious?

Kanye West took a microphone out of Taylor Swift’s hand and was ostracized for months. Chris Brown assaulted Rihanna and is heavily featured in the Grammys three years later. It’s absolutely disgusting and so is Team Breezy and everything about it.

Roger Burton ’14
History and dramatic art