Library resources. Shows at Carolina Performing Arts. Scholarships. Valued Professorships. Campus buildings. These are all vital resources that we benefit from as students at UNC. These are also resources that we might not have if it wasn’t for private giving to the University.

The list above contains a few of the many things that help shape our Carolina experience and that are also supported by private giving. All areas of campus benefit from the generosity of donors.

With this in mind, Feb. 22 is Tag Day — a day that serves to remind students about the importance of private giving and the impact it makes on the things we enjoy on campus every day.

Tag Day represents the 17 percent of Carolina’s annual revenue in 2011 academic year that came from private support. On that day, we have 17 percent of the 2012 academic year left.

The Heelraisers Council and the Carolina Annual Fund want to use Feb. 22 as a way to educate students about all the sources of Carolina’s revenue.

During these hard times of budget cuts and tuition increases, gifts to Carolina help more than ever.

While thinking about what others have done by giving back to Carolina, I encourage students to consider continuing the tradition of giving. Let us leave our own mark on the University we love so much.

You can make a gift to any part of campus that is important to you at giving.unc.edu/gift.

To learn more and receive free food and T-shirts, join the Heelraisers in the Pit next week from 11 a.m. to 2 p.m.

Jordan Sutton ’12
Journalism
Public relations chair
Heelraisers Council