Food trucks can apply for licenses March 1

Ordinance mandates no more than four parked cars per property

A previous version of this article stated that the town has delayed the application process, but town spokeswoman Catherine Lazorko says the March 1 date was always the starting point for applications. It also stated that Kendal Brown said that the town stalled the process to give staff time to develop an application; in fact she said that regulations always had an effective date of March 1 to allow time for staff to develop procedures and forms for applications. The Daily Tar Heel apologizes for the errors.

Rob Garner planned to sell sausages wrapped in French bread out of his food truck, Baguettaboutit, on the streets of Chapel Hill as early as Thursday.

But after the town announced last week that it will begin accepting applications from food trucks Thursday, Garner will now have to wait a bit longer.

“We were really hoping that by March 1 we could be out on the streets in Chapel Hill,” Garner said. “We had found a couple places that wanted us to come, and we were really looking forward to March 1.”

On Jan. 30, the Chapel Hill Town Council unanimously adopted an ordinance to allow food trucks in Chapel Hill.

Kendal Brown, principal planner for the town, said that March 1 was always the start date for certain applications. However, some food truck owners tried applying earlier.

Garner said he submitted an application before the town announced that they wouldn’t accept them until March 1, and it was returned with instructions to turn in the application after Thursday.

Brown said although the planning department, the fire department and the inspections division will issue permits as quickly as they can, they can’t set a definitive date for when food trucks will be approved.

Many food truck owners say they are disappointed that they will have to continue waiting to bring their specialties to Chapel Hill — lengthening an 18-month struggle to gain regular access to town’s streets.

“We aren’t really sure when it’s going to be now,” said Garner. “It depends on their process.”

During Town Council discussions about the creation of an ordinance, some voiced concerns about how allowing food trucks in Chapel Hill would affect traditional brick-and-mortar restaurants.

But Garner said he doesn’t think that will be the case.

“We see it as a nice complement,” he said.

The new ordinance requires that food trucks operate on private property and limits trucks per lot, with requirements varying by area.

Garner said that by setting forth such strict regulations, Chapel Hill is missing out on a mobile food culture that the nearby towns of Carrboro and Durham have embraced.

“We have these things called food truck rodeos over in Durham, and they are great pulls for people,” he said.

The ordinance also states that to vend regularly in Chapel Hill, the trucks will have to pay a $600 annual fee, as well as an $118 zoning compliance fee.

Tracy Livers of Olde North State BBQ said she thinks the town’s fee schedule is excessive and she will have to carefully consider whether or not to request a permit.

“We are a small business just getting started and I can’t shell out $600 until I have a spot that I know is going to be worth that much money,” she said.

Carol Edenton, manager of Will and Pop’s food truck, said the fees deterred her from applying for a permit.

“The fees are obscene,” Edenton said in an email. “And the town clearly does not want trucks.”

Contact the City Editor at city@dailytarheel.com.