Standing in the front row of the student section behind Duke’s bench, I found myself disgusted: not by the game-winning 3-pointer, not by the fact that both teams played their hearts out, but by the UNC fans all around me.

While I realize that Duke does not have the most attractive players in college basketball, especially when compared to our lineup of fine young gentlemen, their appearance has nothing to do with their basketball skills.

The continuous flow of cheeky insults about their facial imperfections from the students around me was unnecessary, disrespectful and tacky.

There’s a difference between telling Plumlee that he sucks at shooting free throws and telling him that he needs to fix is overbite. One is playing with his head; the other is wounding his heart. I’m not suggesting Tar Heel fans and Dookies go skipping down the court hand-in-hand, but personal attacks are not filled with the class that I associate with UNC.

As if the cheap shots taken at Duke’s players weren’t enough, some of the “fans” around me had the audacity to leave before singing our alma mater.

Losing any game, especially one of the most amazing rivalry games ever played, should not be enough for you to revoke your love for UNC. But when it all comes down to it, I suppose I’d rather have you leave than pretend to be a Tar Heel born and bred, anyway.

Heather Myers ‘12
Psychology